Foundations required for French Doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello members, newbie alert, first post.

I've browsed this forum a few times now for answers, always useful!

I have a covered storage area that I want to make more useful annex/office, essentially it’s like a garage built between two existing properties, with a room over the top – old wooden garage doors at the front and open to the elements at the back. I plan to add an arched window with French doors into the open gap at the rear, and then line the whole thing out and add joists/new floor etc.

I think I’m likely to need foundations of some kind for the frame of French doors to sit on, the question is how deep I would need to go – I guess it’ll need to take the weight of a timber frame with double glazed doors etc. but the main structure of the building/s already exists.

I have a reasonable amount of practical ability and understanding.

Any suggestions very welcome,

Thanks,

Paul

20180501_201500new_zpsvqbiejsw.jpg

Sponsored Links
Would you want a concrete foundation then a few course of engineering bricks and a DPC under the doors?

Hello,

Yes I’m wondering if that’s what I need, but how far to go down. I'd need to dig a trench across just inside the arch. At the moment the patio stones continue through from the garden area right through the garage to the front of the house - they run downhill. The patio stones will be finished just below (or around) the level of the internal finished floor level – the garden floor will be levelled out. I’ll obviously need some drainage in front of the proposed doors too.

Cheers,

Paul

Sponsored Links
Thanks both,

That’s what I’ll do then, just wanted to check I’m doing the right thing. I think the foundation under the doors will be the hardest graft, the rest I think will be joists spanning across, some DPM and a stud wall.

Cheers,

Paul

The weight of the doors is on the walls ether side of the opening, and not on the wall below it. However you need a foundation down to ground that is suitably firm and stable.

Wall foundations will need to be as deep as the main house foundations - about 600-750mm down normally, and twice as wide as the wall you are building on them.

The foundation under an opening can be less deep - about 400mm, but it may not be practical to do this, so a single foundation just goes across the whole lot at one depth.

You can fill the trench with concrete and have a few course of bricks up to the finished floor level, or you can put 200mm or so of concrete down and then build the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back