French doors replacing window - lintel question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I am about to order French doors to replace the Window in my dining room. The French doors will be wider than the existing Window.

Building Control are asking that I remove the existing wooden lintel and replace with a steel beam (which I already have) do sit directly under the wall plate).

Questions ! :-

1. Property is a bungalow with a rear dormer. Do I need to prop anything before I remove the existing lintel or can I quickly swap in the new steel ?

2. If I choose to have the French doors not quite as high as the existing window, any suggestions as how to bridge the gap at the top etc

full

Thanks !

Sponsored Links
See if the existing lintel is loose (or can be made loose with cutting any nails) and free of that wall plate. If it is, you can swap out without support, of not you should provide support.

You should put the new lintel at the level of the frame and make good above it. Otherwise it's a plastic or timber make up piece and cover strips.

Thanks Woody, its hard to tell of its loose or not because its slightly twisted. I can insert a coat hanger through the gap in a lot of places which makes me think its not actually supporting the wallplate hence my question.

As for the level of the lintel, the reason the top of the new frame may be lower is I think it will have to be due to the external height etc if that makes sense. I would prefer to have a separate wooden "lintel" directly above the new door frame and insulate / board above that. Also makes fixings for curtains or blinds much easier in the future too.

The pic below its the middle window, as you can see the window frame is right up into the soffet

full

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back