Four cables in one socket?

Okay, I think I've got to the bottom of it. I've removed the two spurs and the cable connecting the two sockets, discarded one socket and I've connected the ring into the other. That's probably how it was originally.
Now it's getting confused/confusing, because we can't be certain that you really have a ring - the cable connecting the two sockets may well have been (speculation again) part of the ring, so it sounds as if you may well have 'broken' the ring. You really must establish that you have a complete ring before you try to add anything to it - and that's where an electrician and test equipment comes into the equation.
So was it against regs? Can't see why he put four cables into one socket and two into another. Wouldn't a spur into each socket and the connecting cable have been easier, i.e. three in each? I'd like both spurs back if permitted, if not, at least one. Thanks.
If you have a complete ring, then, as I said, the only way in which having two spours from one socket would be contrary to the regs would be if (which is probably the case) four cables exceeds the maximum capacity of the socket terminals as specified by the manufacturer (the regs require you to comply with manufacturer's instructions). In any event, as you suggest, it would not only ensure compliance with the regs but would also be a heck of a lot easier to take the spurs from two different sockets, hence only 3 cables per socket. Note that you are only allowed one (single or double) socket fed by each of those spurs. However, as said, before you even think about re-instating spurs, you must establish with certainty that you do have a complete ring (not the least because, if you don't, your present circuit will be non-compliant with the regs) - which I suspect may no longer be the case.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
SJRSJR: For the record I don't disagree with anything John just said. (Although I had to read the last sentence a few times to work out what the last clause related to!)

SJRSJR: For the record I don't disagree with anything John just said. (Although I had to read the last sentence a few times to work out what the last clause related to!)
Apologies if it was confusing. In my defence, all I can say is that I've been known to produce far more complex sentences than that (which my old O-Level English examiners would undoubtedly have been proud to put in their exams 'for analysis' - do such 'Clause Analysis' exercises persist in GCSE English, I wonder?)! In case anyone else found my writing unclear, let me clarify that the sentence meant:
"However, ... before you even think about re-instating spurs, you must establish with certainty that you do have a complete ring (....) - which (the fact that you do have a complete ring) I suspect may no longer be the case."

Kind Regards, John

Thanks, I've got an electrician coming round on Friday. I'll get him to give everything the once over.

Sponsored Links
So it turns out it's a 2.5mm radial circuit which serves the downstairs sockets excluding the kitchen. The electrician has reduced the existing 30 amp fuse wire (old style fuse board) with 20 amp fuse wire. So as I understand it, with the smaller fuse, it'll blow before the cable has a chance to overheat.

So it turns out it's a 2.5mm radial circuit which serves the downstairs sockets excluding the kitchen. The electrician has reduced the existing 30 amp fuse wire (old style fuse board) with 20 amp fuse wire. So as I understand it, with the smaller fuse, it'll blow before the cable has a chance to overheat.
Thanks for the update. Unless it was just done wrong in the first place, one has to wonder whether it may have started life as a ring (for which the 30A fuse would be appropriate), and for some reason at some point in time converted to a radial (without fuse being changed). Having said that, I recall that, back in the 60s, my parents' home had just one 'power' circuit, with a 30A fuse, and all sockets were wired as radials (probably gradually added over time) using then then-equivalent of 2.5mm² cable.

Kind Regards, John

You're probably right. I think the house was built circa 1930, but it's since been extended in various parts (there are four fuseboards in the meter cupboard) so it's seen some changes over the years. Thanks for the info and advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back