Four cables on a plug socket

Sponsored Links
JohnW2 - The "actual", original ring that goes back to the CU comes in from the 2 sockets in Bedroom 2. ie the original ring was BBSO1 - BASO1 - BBSO2. BASO2 and BASO3 were added later and badley wired in from what I can tell. My fix is to break in to the original ring as per the second diagram
OK, but whatever re-arrangements you make, it is crucial that all the sockets end up on a single, 'closed', ring (from the CU, through sockets and then back to the CU), other than any individual sockets which are on their own spur off the ring (i.e. only one socket per spur, and no 'spurs' from spurs'). As deadshort has implied, if you do not achieve that then to have 2.5mm² cable protected by a 32A MCB (if that's what it is) would be neither safe nor compliant with regulations.

Whether you are necessarily going to end up absolutely certain of the topology of the circuit without undertaking the sort of tests that an electrician would utilise, I'm not so sure.

Kind Regards, John

Hi, as i have advised a 20a or 25a mcb will render the wiring electrically safe and and if there is infact, 1x 2.5mm cable supplying the upstairs sockets this is the simplest and most disruptive solution to making the installation (upstairs) safe.

Howeve, we await the conformation of the MCB rateing from the OP .

Kind regards,

DS

Hi, as i have advised a 20a or 25a mcb will render the wiring electrically safe and and if there is infact, 1x 2.5mm cable supplying the upstairs sockets this is the simplest and most disruptive solution to making the installation (upstairs) safe.
[I presume you mean least disruptive solution]
Yes, as a temporary measure, until the circuit is sorted out properly, that would 'make it safe' - although that's probably a very cautious approach (if the circuit is going to be attended to fairly soon), since it sounds as if it's probably been like that for a a good long time, and, in any event, I very much doubt that two bedrooms are going to overload 2.5mm² cable.
Howeve, we await the conformation of the MCB rateing from the OP .
We do - although I'll be pretty surprised if he does not confirm what he has already suggested.

Kind Regards, Johnt

Sponsored Links
He's gone to bed John, at LEAST he's got his priorites right.

ds

Hi Guys thanks for the input so far.

So today I have basically disconnected all the plug sockets on the upstairs ring, labelled the sockets in the back box and and labelled each cable, then used my cable tracer to to map out all the cables. The original layout is below.

I have now crimped to of the cables in BASO1 to remove the second ring. it is now wired like this

The intention is to remove BASO4 as that will be behind our new wardrobe. I will run the ring through the wall to BCSO3 and the other sockets in Bedroom C. This way all the spurs (bar the one to the socket downstairs will have been removed and I should also have reduced the length of the ring. Somewhere there is a junction box as the boiler is powered from a fused spur. I will therefore need to find this junction make sure it remains connected

The CU has a 32A MCB

Thanks for all your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back