Fourth time lucky?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have replaced a bath waste with a pop-up jobbie but can't get it to seal properly. Original sponge washer (suppplied with replacement unit) didn't last, so bought a second (but cheaper) waste so I could raid the washers. Still no joy. On the first go I used a smear of Unibond kitchen sealant which is supposed to be waterproof, although the small print says it's not to be used for baths or as a bedding compound. Have just tried 785 Dow Corning silicone sanitary sealant, but having looked at the Dow Corning website, there's no mention of it being fully waterproof, so now I'm getting paranoid.

Was going to wait a day to see if this time it was leak-free. Or am I missing something? Maybe grease?

Sponsored Links
I have always used standard clear silicone.

Old fashioned way is to use plumbers mait.

Hi Dave

Thanks for your quick reply. I've made a test splat of the new silicone and the old sealant and the new stuff is more elasticky and rubbery, so I think it'll work. Will wait a bit longer before trying, though.

But next time you come across a 'waterproof' silicone sealant in the stores, look closely at the smallprint, because some isn't waterproof at all!

Perhaps your "smear" wasn't enough. I believe (but am waiting to be corrected now!) that they're ALL waterproof.

new stuff is more elasticky and rubbery
You mean Lower Modulus sir, please!

Sponsored Links
where is it leaking from?

Is it the rod that goes in to operate the lifter?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back