Fox in garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi my mother is getting a fox digging under her wooden fence into her back door, so any help on stopping it ?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
When you say digging into the back door, what do you mean? Normally they are only attracted to a source of food or smell, which is why there are never any open bins or bits of food left on the floor after eating tea in the garden. There must be a reason for it to be going specifically for the door.

That said, we had 5 cubs in the garden this year (3 last year). They are generally harmless and while we don't make effort to invite them up to the door, they exist peacefully with our cats and cause very little disruption. I even see them playing out on the lawn in the mid-afternoon which I've never seen before!

IME they can usually jump on and over a fence.

Is there by any chance a bird-table (rat table) nearby? Or a source of water to drink?

Foxes are more active when it's not fully light. It's better if they are not habituated to people and keep clear, or they may start to demand food. They are nervous of large male carnivores, and if you wee around the fence after a steak or roast dinner, this will deter them. A cut-up, sweaty man's vest also works.

I like to see foxes in the garden at dusk or dawn, although they scent-mark their territory which stinks if around the house.

It's better if they are not habituated to people and keep clear, or they may start to demand food. They are nervous of large male carnivores, and if you wee around the fence after a steak or roast dinner, this will deter them. A cut-up, sweaty man's vest also works.

Very true. I've known someone leave out cat food and then moan that there are holes in the lawn and bin bags torn open. We like to see them darting about from street light to street light at night. I'd love to see the other half's reaction to me having a waz along the gravel boards.

Sponsored Links
We had three separate holes dug under the fence with our neighbours in spring, left it a while and filled them in, but usually foxes will dig out a filled in hole. It was only deep enough to go under the fence so perhaps a route of convenience. Maybe fill with hardcore or brick rubble as a temporary measure and see if they return.

That said if doing no harm, leave them.

Blup

Thanks all, no food left out, bin lids all closed, it is a row of houses with 8’ high wooded fencing, never actually seen any foxes, what happens is that a hole appears under the fence with the rubble from something digging and the same appears on the opposite fence so we thought a fox. Have backfilled the holes with some metal mesh in it and a while later a new one appears so though5 to ask here
Thanks

Likewise regarding hole on each side of fence, thought it might also have been a badger but no evidence.

Blup

Last edited:
Have backfilled the holes with some metal mesh

You can also keep out birds by fixing netting across from one fence to the other.
Butterflies and bees are harder to exclude but perhaps a glass roof?
Then the garden would be entirely free of wildlife.

You can also keep out birds by fixing netting across from one fence to the other.
Butterflies and bees are harder to exclude but perhaps a glass roof?
Then the garden would be entirely free of wildlife.

And don't forget the artificial grass too. It's lovely and green all the time and stops pesky birds looking for food!

If it's foxes you'll normally see the odd fox poo as well..

If you get up early, you're most likely to see them around dawn.

If there's dew, they may be casting about on the grass.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back