Frame cramps - pillar for steel beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Anyone out there that can help me?

Structural engineer said “You need to fix frame cramps to the face of the hatch brickwork at 150mm and 450mm above the bottom of the hatch, the cramps plugged and screwed to the existing brickwork”

where my vertical black line is there use to be a hatch.
Do I just need to knock down the brickwork I’ve just done. Re-do the same way but plug and screw frame cramps in..

Getting confused as doesn’t feel right to have a vertical mortar line. Or is it okay as frame cramps are holding it in.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can't see your picture but have you toothed it in instead? Go back and check with the engineer, but I'm sure building in the frame cramps are just a way to avoid matching up the courses etc but still tying it in.

I haven’t toothed it as there a lot of brick work above that I don’t want to disturb.
What plugs and screws should I be using from frame cramps? Just standard brown rawl plugs or framing fixings ? Thanks for your comment

I'm not sure. But I'm also confused what's going on - is it a redundant serving hatch you are bricking up, or is it a hatched area on a drawing you are doing something with? - you need to post photos and any documents you are relying on

Sponsored Links
It’s an old hatch that I’m bricking up. Which will form part of a pillar. Apologies I thought I had uploaded a photo.
Would standard brown rawl plugs do to for frame cramps? Or would I need something stronger.
Thanks
E821D9AD-A255-4F2D-8755-B78A434DD8B5.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back