framing square/stair gauges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I am after a product that I don't the name of in this country, In America they are known as Stair Gauges which are screwed onto the roofing square at the required run and rise measurement to keep unity on all the rafter cuts, anyone have an idea of what they are called over here in good old blighty, thanks very much

Sponsored Links
you can make your own with two strips of wood and a couple of wing nuts.

Or for the brass ones Axminster tools do them (stair gauge set) and I think Rutlans do as well

Jason

Cheers Jason, I am after a particular type, apparently the hexagon one's aren't all that, failing this I will make my own as you suggested, ta!

Sorry that I'm late to this conversation, but I find the 2 strips of wood trick to be better than gauges. The reason is that you can lay out your top and bottom steps right to the bottom of the stringer. (With gauges, you need some waste material to rest them on.)

Nigel

Sponsored Links
As it happens I was using the framing square to pitch a roof and I wanted the gauges for uniformity in my rafters etc. As it happens again, I got a pair of the Starrett gauges on E-Bay at a reasonable price, that was until I was handed the customs and excise charge on receipt "which I knew nothing about" makes them rather expensive for what they are really.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back