Shed/Summerhouse Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All, I am building a five-sided corner Summerhouse, I have constructed the side frames out of 3x2 treated timber and have now moved onto the roof. I am a little stuck here and not sure if I am overthinking it too much. Basically I plan to put in 4 main rafters at raised angle of course but also need to add some 'Jack Rafters' I thin they're called to aid support of the roof panels at 45deg to the main rafters. The Summerhouse is only 2.2 metres across but I think that as well as cutting the Jack Rafters at 45deg I also need a compound angle cut to allow for the rise angle as it attaches to the main rafter as just a 45deg cut on it's own will not sit square. I suspect as well that the 45deg cut will not actually be exactly 45deg as the rise again alters that as well. I am also constructing the rafters out of 3x2 timber. I have a sliding compound mitre saw but can't figure out how to set it up and to what angles. Clearly one cut needs to be at 45deg but I have no idea what the compound angle would be or even whether I actually need to bother as the general size of the shed is too small. The 4 main rafters will not be positioned at the corners, but instead at the mid point of each side to allow for the cut-off fifth side.

Sponsored Links
I think your set out may cause problems.

You need to fit hips, which sit on each corner and goes up to the back.

however I wonder if you may be better off just fixing a noggin between the hips - so on plan they will be like concentric “circles” - might give you better support for the roof sheet material.

Ok, that makes sense, but don’t i still need to cut a compound angle or will it just be 45deg cuts at either end….?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back