Advice for shed rafters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, got a question on my shed build. Excuse the lack of technical terms.

I am about to cut the rafters for my shed, and am wondering how these should be attached to the walls of the shed. The shed wall frames are made up of 4x2 as is the rafters. The easy way is to place them on top of the walls and drive screws in from the top / use some angle brackets to secure them. However i am wondering if there is a more correct way of doing this. Such as cutting a notch out of the rafters so they lock onto the wall frame before fixing them down?

Also due to the sloping roof, how do you get the rafters to lay "flat" on the wall frames? Is it a case of cutting the rafters so they fit flat, or are there some "wedges" that can be bought that will allow the rafters to sit on the walls correctly.

Hope that makes sense, if not I'll have to sketch something up.

Sponsored Links
If you don't want to bother with notching, then use truss clips to secure the rafters.

But for a shed, you can just lay the rafters on the side panels and just screw or skew nail them

Sponsored Links
Hi guys, thanks for the advice. Bigall, nice shed :) If mine looks half that good, i'll be happy.

I probably should have mentioned, its a flat roof, with a 10 degree slope. So not sure if the birdsmouth cuts still apply, but see no reason why not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back