Frayed mower cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Have tried googling this but all I can find are repairs to cables that have been completely damaged.

After pulling out the mower for the first cut of the year, I think repeatedly tying up the cord in the same way after each use has taken its toll and resulted in several sections of frayed outer rubber insulation/protection sleeve. See picture below.

mower.jpg

Are there any fixes for this?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
i cut through a hedge trimmer cable and use this to repair
but that also meant i could use another very long cable and short cable depending on what i was doing , rather than an extension lead
worked really well , until i went cordless
mower is petrol
but there are other permanent inline connectors available

Electrical tape would do the job as you have only cut through the outer sheath of the cable. Inner sheath still remains intact based on the picture.

Probably better to replace the cable as if it has cracked in one place then it has probably cracked in others as well.
Toolstation do a 25m roll of three core orange for £16.
or just two core here

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
The outer sheath has cracked because as mentioned the plasticiser has gone, This can create comparatively sharp edges ( the white area ) which as the cable flexes can cut into the insulation of the Live and/or Neutral wires. Wrapping tape around the damaged area will not prevent this.
cable.jpg

When the insulation on the Live is damaged dampness / moisture can create the hazard of electric shock

I would agree with others, if a cable is failing in one place then a repair may be sensible, if a cable is failing in many locations then it's likely reached the end of it's life.

If possible I would replace the whole cable, if that is not an option then I would cut the cable and insert a joint (probablly one of the 2 pin plug and socket types) close to the appliance.

Thanks everyone. Yes the cable has failed like this in several places. Think I'll go ahead and replace the whole thing.

Thanks!

Note to OP - What ever repair you decide upon, first check whether two core (double insulated appliance), or three core cable is used, and replace with the same. If you decide to use those inline plug and sockets, likewise match them - two pins for 2core, three for three core.

Absolutely, will cut through and see what the set up is first. Thanks.

Hi all

Have tried googling this but all I can find are repairs to cables that have been completely damaged.

After pulling out the mower for the first cut of the year, I think repeatedly tying up the cord in the same way after each use has taken its toll and resulted in several sections of frayed outer rubber insulation/protection sleeve. See picture below.

View attachment 337384

Are there any fixes for this?

Thanks in advance.
You could try waterproof heat shrink, or even tape it (though it will probably come undone), but avoid a mechanical joint because it will get stuck on every twig branch or other obstruction the garden has to offer. When I cut through mine I put in a complete new length of orange cable, long enough to meet most needs, and used extension cable for the rest.

With respect the state of the cable will fail ANY PAT test, way before any electrical tests would be attempted.

Proper solutions have been suggested, namely:
If the end of the existing cable is still sound where it enters the mower; cut it leaving a foot/30cm and use the flex connector, OR
If you are competent to do so; Replace the whole cable right into the mower.

Pretty much anything else is a botch and in all honesty the costs involved don't warrant a botch.

Arctic cable is more flexible and is made to be used outside ie
available in blue or yellow and although the usual convention is blue for 230v and yellow for 110v the cable is the same. I personally would use yellow for a mower lead as it easier to spot when it's lying in the grass

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back