Unprotected Earth Cable Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Where i work, the earth cable coming from the consumer unit is not in any kind of conduit or anything to protect the cable. Therefore, the cable is electrically insulated by the yellow/green sleeving but not mechanically insulated against damage.

This earth cable runs under floor boards at some points but at others it is running exposed across the surface of walls etc.

Is this acceptable? I assumed the cable would need to be mechanically protected at all times but im no expert!

All the other cables in the building are run in PVC conduit.

I had a look at the regs and to my untrained eye it looks like the earth cable should always be in metal trunking or should be an armoured cable, is this true?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Do you mean 'No' its not acceptable to do this, or 'No' the earth doesnt have to be in some sort of protection?

What size is the cable? Is it for earthing or protective eq. bonding?

Sponsored Links
It's about 6mm, Im not sure if it used for earthing or bonding........

By bonding, you mean connecting stuff like the boiler and the gas pipes etc?

I think this particular cable does go all the way from the main supply to the gas boiler yes.

So is it ok to have it like this if its for bonding then?

Thanks for your help by the way, apologies for my lack of knowledge!

Can you post a photo of the supply head? Is the earth provided by the supplier or is it your own electrode?

It doesn't need mechanical protection (unless it is buried in the ground).

Im 99% sure the earth is provided by the supplier, im certain its not a TT system (is that correct terminology)?

Photo not possible at mo as dont currently have access to the room!

So we'll take it as a TN, the normal size is 10mm² CSA for a protective equipotential bonding conductor.
It should connect from the Main Earthing Terminal (by the intake usually) to any extraneous parts where they enter the building such as a metal water main or a gas main.
A protective cable over 4mm doesn't usually require any additional mechainical protection.

Thanks spark123, i think looking at it again it probably is more like 10mm,

I really appreciate your help, it good of you to take the time with a newbie like me! much better than the 'No' i got earlier form someone else!!

Looks like nothing to worry about then thankfully,

Cheers mate. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back