Protecting a cable in a thin partition

BW2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Part C of Amendment No 2 : 2004 of the IEE specifies that a cable concealed in a thin wall or partition …

… be enclosed in earthed conduit, trunking or ducting, …, or be mechanically protected sufficient to protect penetration of the cable by nails, screws and the like, …

what does anyone use? Is high impact plastic good enough to repel builders, or do I need to go for metal conduit?

Sponsored Links
Install it in a safe zone?
If you cannot install it in a safe zone then it needs to be as the regulation says, in a metallic conduit or be of the correct construction. Plastic isn't going to provide an earthed metallic covering.

Ok - earthed metal conduit it is.

Do I then earth the conduit by connecting it to the earth of the T&E that's running through the conduit - or do I have to provide some extra CPC ?

Sponsored Links
Attatch the conduit to the socket box with a bush and coupling, and earth the socket box.

Do your cables really need to run outside the safe zones?

You may find that split con or FP200 is easier to install than steel conduit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back