Free alcohol but only for the Welsh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1683021981557.png English is the odd one out, most languages phrase thinks reverse to English so in Welsh it is wrong way around so says Free Alcohol not Alcohol Free, it cost us where I work, miss spelt North Pole for our father Christmas special, and we have Welsh speakers there.

I do not speak Welsh, have a hard enough time with English, but one does not need to read the whole sign, I see what looks like toilets, and I know men starts with a D and only place I have seen toilets only labelled in Welsh is Bala, (Welsh Y Bala) but the lake is Tegid not Bala, the on line translators tells me it was a lake, so if not a lake in Welsh what is it?

Sponsored Links
Is it a tarn?
I'm still trying to work out the new name for the Brecon Beacons.
It's all v. confusing.

At least they didn't feel the need to add the completely superflous word 'for' before 'free'. Why has everything suddenly become 'for free' these days? No doubt another Americanism. Like "swapped out", when just 'swapped' will do. Heard Gene Hackman say "can I get?" when asking for a drink at a kiosk on the NY Subway watching French Connection last night. 50 years later, everyone under 25 years old is doing it here. [Aimless rant for the day - over.]

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Wales is crippling its own economy and kids' futures by persisting with bringing back what was an almost dead language. I lived in South Wales in the 1990s, the Welsh language hardly existed other than in place names. I know it was more prevalent in the north, but that was gradually dwindling as younger people realised it was a waste of effort learning it.

The rest of the world is becoming more international, while Wales is obsessing about the old days, politics is stopping Wales from modernising and making it more old-fashioned all the time.

Many modern welsh words are just made-up in recent years, often either word-for-word or phonetic equivalents of english, e.g. ambulance = ambiwlans. It's all the equivalent of Yorkshire inventing its own language and saying "Ay up" in every sentence, i.e. pointless nonsense.

I bet they all know the Welsh words for "Benefits" and "Claim" though.

Wales is crippling its own economy and kids' futures by persisting with bringing back what was an almost dead language. I lived in South Wales in the 1990s, the Welsh language hardly existed other than in place names. I know it was more prevalent in the north, but that was gradually dwindling as younger people realised it was a waste of effort learning it.

The rest of the world is becoming more international, while Wales is obsessing about the old days, politics is stopping Wales from modernising and making it more old-fashioned all the time.

Many modern welsh words are just made-up in recent years, often either word-for-word or phonetic equivalents of english, e.g. ambulance = ambiwlans. It's all the equivalent of Yorkshire inventing its own language and saying "Ay up" in every sentence, i.e. pointless nonsense.

I bet they all know the Welsh words for "Benefits" and "Claim" though.

twll tin :LOL:

Last edited:
"can I get?"

I absolutely hate hearing this, especially as it was drilled into me to say "please may I have" growing up. That and high rising terminal or "upspeak" (may have to Google to know what I mean), where people speak with a higher tone at the end of a question.

It's all the equivalent of Yorkshire inventing its own language and saying "Ay up" in every sentence, i.e. pointless nonsense.

Northerners (and us Midlanders) have been saying it for a long time! The first use of "Ay up" I have seen was in an archive diary from 1802. There are so many uses for it!

Mae'r hon yn farn eithaf anghywir ac anghyfrifol.
Mae'r iaith Gymraeg yn rhan hanesyddol a chyfoethog o ddiwylliant Cymru, ac mae'n bwysig iawn ei chadw'n fyw. Mae'n rhoi cyfle i bobl o bob oedran ymuno â diwylliant Cymru a gwerthfawrogi ein treftadaeth.
Mae ymchwil hefyd yn dangos bod addysg ddwyieithog yn gwell ar gyfer datblygu meddwl creadigol a sgiliau cyfathrebu.
Felly, mae'n bwysig ein bod yn parhau i ddiogelu a chadw'r iaith Gymraeg yn fyw i ddyfodol plant Cymru a chyfoethogi ein diwylliant cenedlaethol.

Mae'r iaith Gymraeg yn rhan hanesyddol a chyfoethog o ddiwylliant Cymru, ac mae'n bwysig iawn ei chadw'n fyw. Mae'n rhoi cyfle i bobl o bob oedran ymuno â diwylliant Cymru a gwerthfawrogi ein treftadaeth.
Mae ymchwil hefyd yn dangos bod addysg ddwyieithog yn gwell ar gyfer datblygu meddwl creadigol a sgiliau cyfathrebu.
Felly, mae'n bwysig ein bod yn parhau i ddiogelu a chadw'r iaith Gymraeg yn fyw i ddyfodol plant Cymru a chyfoethogi ein diwylliant cenedlaethol.
That's a mad mix of letters; like Polish and Greek had a wild night in with a great deal of Plum Brandy and a dancing frog.
A beautiful spoken language though. Welsh poetry is absolutely superb.

All those words and in English it translates:

Up yours! :LOL:

It actually states;
"This is quite an incorrect and irresponsible opinion. The Welsh language is a historic and rich part of Welsh culture, and it is very important to keep it alive. It gives people of all ages the opportunity to join Welsh culture and appreciate our heritage. Research also shows that bilingual education is better for developing creative thinking and communication skills. Therefore, it is important that we continue to protect and keep the Welsh language alive for the future of the children of Wales and enrich our national culture."

This is a quite wrong and irresponsible opinion.
The Welsh language is a historic and rich part of Welsh culture, and it is very important to keep it alive. It gives people of all ages the opportunity to join Welsh culture and appreciate our heritage.
Research also shows that bilingual education is better for developing creative thinking and communication skills.
Therefore, it is important that we continue to protect and keep the Welsh language alive for the future of the children of Wales and enrich our national culture.

Nid wyf yn y swyddfa ar hyn o bryd. Anfonwch unrhyw waith i'w gyfieithu

Sponsored Links
Back