In non English nations of the UK, do things like Alexa need to understand Welsh etc.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I use google mini's and to turn on landing lights I say hey google turn on landing lights, I don't speak Welsh, neither does my wife, but we were born in Wales and understand some Welsh, in the main don't really read it, but I know the Welsh for a male toilet starts with D, and the Welsh for slow starts with A, so can work out most Welsh signs.

But if a Welsh speaking care worker was to call and tried switching on lights, they would need to use English, I know this has caused problems in the past, where a reversing alarm said "Beware I am reversing" instead of the international beep beep beep.

I know in caravans the labels should be in Welsh, but Welsh speakers would not know this as BS 7671 is in English not Welsh so they would be unaware of the regulations, I assume therefore BS 7671 is not valid in Wales?

But Scotland and Ireland have the same problem, and with so many items today using voice control wonder what the rules are? I know pilots need to speak English so air traffic control does not need multi languages, but that does seem the odd one out, In Hong Kong the police had red crown on lapel if they spoke English, that was before take over, but not seen a red dragon etc for British police speaking Welsh.

So what are the rules if any?

Sponsored Links
I doubt there are any rules for Alexa or Google. It would be up to them to decide if making them understand minority languages would be profitable.

Sponsored Links
I must admit bilingual road signs are not helpful, by time one has found the English bit one has driven past, I asked google nest mini do you understand Welsh, and it gives instructions how to change language in the google home app. Don't want to change it in case can't get it back to English, I remember the problems getting stuff swapped from Turkish to English, had to get son-in-law to do it for me, as could not read instructions.

Tried @chivers67 example, and it says I don't speak that language yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back