Free alcohol but only for the Welsh

• In 2021, an estimated 538,000 usual residents in Wales aged three years and over (17.8%) reported being able to speak Welsh, which is a decrease since 2011 (562,000, 19.0%).

Which is still more than I thought.
My bad, I was reviewing my info when you posted.

However, Welsh Gov does an annual pop survey... Bit of a difference, eh?

Welsh Speakers.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
  • In 2021, an estimated 538,000 usual residents in Wales aged three years and over (17.8%) reported being able to speak Welsh, which is a decrease since 2011 (562,000, 19.0%).

Which is still more than I thought.
Was just about to reply...

Despite some caveats, there has been a 2022 update, based on the Annual Population Survey...

that suggests 29% and 900'000 people.

One of the interesting stats for me is the strength of Welsh in Cardiff, away from the traditional North Wales stronghold.
If a government based in Cardiff is promoting bilingualism, it's good to know that there's a strong Welsh presence in the capital...

What's the problem with keeping Welsh alive, I dont know. Favourite Welsh word is llath, as seen on all the roadworks when driving to Holyhead. Think it means yard, presumably the English word lath, as in lath and plaster, is derived from it and was originally a measure.

Blup

Sponsored Links
What's the problem with keeping Welsh alive, I dont know. Favourite Welsh word is llath, as seen on all the roadworks when driving to Holyhead. Think it means yard, presumably the English word lath, as in lath and plaster, is derived from it and was originally a measure.

Blup
Nothing. I think it’s fantastic. I lived in Newport for a couple of years. I like the welsh, friendly people who like a laugh.

They also gave us Max Boyce but lets stick to the positives.

Blup

Only mainstream languages have any real value in today's world. I was taught a smattering of German at school, which I quickly lost most of, I learned enough every day Italian, to get by, whilst working there for a year. I ended up thinking in Italian, prior to speaking to anyone in Italian, rather than translating from English to Italian, whereas during a brief period in Germany, I would have to translate..
Real value?
Keeping a language alive sustains the culture and has a very real value intrinsic with this purpose.
Even so, you can still hear the echoes of old Welsh in English place names: The River Derwent is a quick example: '...derived from Brittonic river name *Deruentiū, Latinised as Deruentiō, meaning "(belonging/pertaining to the) forest of oak trees"; the old river name survived in medieval Welsh poetry, such as Peis Dinogat ("Dinogad's Smock") attached to the larger poem Y Gododdin, as Derwennydd.
Source@WikiWorld

I spent a lot of time working in various parts of mid/north Wales. You'd walk into a pub where they were chatting away in English, until they heard your English accent and the conversation would suddenly swap to Welsh. Anglesey was the worst.
My mate from Cardiff did this though he had lost most of his accent after working in England for years. However the locals (Anglesey) were stunned into silence when he opened up in fluent Welsh when they thought he couldn't understand their barbed insults. At least they've stopped torching English owned cottages (though I have sympathy for anywhere that has unaffordable house prices)

Blup

My mate from Cardiff did this though he had lost most of his accent after working in England for years. However the locals (Anglesey) were stunned into silence when he opened up in fluent Welsh when they thought he couldn't understand their barbed insults. At least they've stopped torching English owned cottages (though I have sympathy for anywhere that has unaffordable house prices)

Blup
People are happy to sell houses in let’s say Mousehole for 2x what they are really worth. Yet complain when their children are priced out of the market.

I totally understand. But maybe take the same approach as jersey.

Nothing. I think it’s fantastic. I lived in Newport for a couple of years. I like the welsh, friendly people who like a laugh.

My brother is looking to sell up because he's had enough of Bristol rat race. Can sell his 2 bed shoe box bungalow and get a 4 bed detached with big gardens and still put some beer money in his back pocket. Looking at places like Undy, wherever that is. Somewhere just over the bridges I expect. Can see why he's doing it, but Wales is a stretch too far. "Free alcohol for The Welsh" - reckon they deserve it for living there.

People are happy to sell houses in let’s say Mousehole for 2x what they are really worth. Yet complain when their children are priced out of the market.

I totally understand. But maybe take the same approach as jersey.

There was a couple of religious types on one of these New Life In The Country type programmes the other night complaining where they lived was too busy and moved to the wilds of rural Shropshire to get some space. Feckers had 9 kids. Couldn't make it up!

Slightly different situation to what you're saying, but identical, blinkered hypocrisy.

Last edited:
My brother is looking to sell up because he's had enough of Bristol rat race. Can sell his 2 bed shoe box bungalow and get a 4 bed detached with big gardens and still put some beer money in his back pocket. Looking at places like Undy, wherever that is. Somewhere just over the bridges I expect. Can see why he's doing it, but Wales is a stretch too far. "Free alcohol for The Welsh" - reckon they deserve it for living there.
I commuted from Newport to various places in Bristol 20 years ago. I didn’t mind either at the time, the house price difference was staggering. Welsh folk are a lot nicer to talk to.

My brother and sister in law live in Downend. House prices there have sky rocketed. Her mum and dad live near Marizion, 500k for a shoe box.

A friends mum sold her field to Alan Titmarsh, she did very well. In the same area where locals had a massive moan about “second homes”

Sponsored Links
Back