English - Welsh scheme requirements.

Sponsored Links
Depends what you call a minority.

According to Wikipedia -

There's....8,608,278 of them and
only..... 53,010,000 of us :)

Sponsored Links
BS7671 talks about appropriate language(s) and official language/s and all official documents in Wales should be in both Welsh and English which of course raises the question of Part P down loads in Welsh and BS7671 being published in Welsh. So yes it would be for the courts to decide if some one was to claim BS7671 and Part P were not valid as not published in Welsh.

However that will not be me. I understand the odd word but can't hold a conversation in Welsh.

Reading the A721.55.3.7 and A721.514.1 in the Annex A it states that caravans for sale in Wales should have both languages I have never checked to see if they do. And yes the RCD etc instructions should be bi-lingual and once one reaches Ruthin then you would need them.

I do hear Welsh spoken in shops etc but not at the checkout. However I suppose where customers know the person at the checkout then they may use Welsh. I have in fact seen local manager of Aldi store talk to a customer in Turkish and many items have German instructions as well as English.

However I have not seen anyone taking their electrical exams in Welsh. Having said that in University we had a Chinese lecturer who we all had problems understanding. One student complained he could not understand her and was told tough. So he requested the lessons in Welsh and it seems that was his right. So they replaced the Chinese lecturer with a Russian one who was far better at English which the student accepted.

One gets use to regular words "araf" written on the road I know means slow. But there have been some really funny mistakes where for example a road sign was written in Welsh and said "I am out of the office at the moment please call back next week" the locals thought it was very funny anyway.

I would be worried about using Welsh stickers in case it said something rude. I have been caught out that way before. Found I was not saying good morning as I thought I was saying in Algeria.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back