Is cooking food now no longer essential?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was looking at the BBC news website, seems you can't buy a microwave, I would have thought if some thing goes wrong with your cooking facility break down, surely a microwave is the easiest quick fix.

Seems Chester football club also has problems, seems there is a drive in movie in their car park, only the car park is in England, the building and stadium are in Wales, so can't use the loo's.

I am all in favour of an Island lock down to stop the virus, but having England, Wales, and Scotland with different rules is silly. The Marches have swapped between being Welsh and English many times, and the roads weave in and out of the principality, and for me to go to hospital means going to England, so anyone who wants to shop simply needs to tell police I'm going to hospital.

So in real terms all it does if make people travel to England and so likely make it worse not better.

Sponsored Links
I saw that and thought exactly the same. If they are selling food then surely it seems sensible to allow them to sell their other commodities?
Here in Suffolk we have a shop called The Range and another called Home Bargains, (there are probably others), that sell mainly household items including stationery, toys, bathroom gadjets , gardening stuff etc, etc. However, they also sell a small range of foodstuffs but not things considered 'essentials' such as bread, milk, eggs, potatoes etc. If we go into lockdown they will be allowed to remain open because they sell foodstuffs but if you need a pan to heat your soup up in then you are stuffed because even though they sell them you won't be able to buy them.
Last time we were in lockdown you were allowed to buy anything else as long as you bought some form of foodstuff. A member of staff at the door was asking people what they were going to buy. My wife said that was none of her business so was refused entry. We called the manager, (who eventually deigned to turn up), and explained the situation. She too was going to refuse us entry until I said, "I want to buy my wife something but I want to buy it separately so she will not know what it is until I give it to her." My wife made the same statement and we were both allowed in. Keeping to our word we both bought each other a bar of chocolate as the foodstuff to our other items.

There was some lady o the radio last night from the Welsh government

Apparently buying an ekectric kettle is not essential as u can boil water via a different method

So u cannot buy a kettle when shopping for food in a super market :confused:

Sponsored Links
I saw that and thought exactly the same. If they are selling food then surely it seems sensible to allow them to sell their other commodities?
Here in Suffolk we have a shop called The Range and another called Home Bargains, (there are probably others), that sell mainly household items including stationery, toys, bathroom gadjets , gardening stuff etc, etc. However, they also sell a small range of foodstuffs but not things considered 'essentials' such as bread, milk, eggs, potatoes etc. If we go into lockdown they will be allowed to remain open because they sell foodstuffs but if you need a pan to heat your soup up in then you are stuffed because even though they sell them you won't be able to buy them.
Last time we were in lockdown you were allowed to buy anything else as long as you bought some form of foodstuff. A member of staff at the door was asking people what they were going to buy. My wife said that was none of her business so was refused entry. We called the manager, (who eventually deigned to turn up), and explained the situation. She too was going to refuse us entry until I said, "I want to buy my wife something but I want to buy it separately so she will not know what it is until I give it to her." My wife made the same statement and we were both allowed in. Keeping to our word we both bought each other a bar of chocolate as the foodstuff to our other items.

The" thanks" was for the use of the word "deigned":)

There was some lady o the radio last night from the Welsh government

Apparently buying an ekectric kettle is not essential as u can boil water via a different method

So u cannot buy a kettle when shopping for food in a super market :confused:

Makes a lot of sense in some parts of Wales, as they've not got Christianity yet, let alone electricity ;):ROFLMAO:

Apparently this entire lock down caper in wales about what u can and cannot buy is causing confusion

Tis all a dogs breakfast every where imho

Jeez us wept what a mess

Just order online for next day delivery.
Problem, what problem!

Exactly some one needs to tell the Welsh government

There other excuse was to stop people lingering in the super market browsing kettles
Etc

This is the stupid thing!

Someone from the Welsh government said that the reason for the decision about what you can and can't buy is to make things fair. Small shops cannot open so large stores can't either.

But that leaves Amazon cleaning up thank you very much. Just remind me....how much tax do they pay to HMRC, versus all the local shops?

You couldn't make it up.

Sponsored Links
Back