Free alcohol but only for the Welsh

My bad, I was reviewing my info when you posted.

However, Welsh Gov does an annual pop survey... Bit of a difference, eh?

View attachment 302583
It looks like the decline from 2001-2010 would have continued if things had been left to evolve naturally.

I'd like to see that split out by age group, it's likely that most of the increase in welsh speaking is by children and young people, who had it forced upon them at school.

The whole thing is a very weird social experiment, in reversing natural evolution. I don't think there's any logical reason for this sort of indoctrination, it's more about politics than education.

There's no problem with learning Welsh, but these school hours are taken up with learning something more useful outside of Wales, perhaps French, German, Science - things that will further their prospects.

Also other subjects are being taught IN welsh, so their learning in ALL other subjects is likely to be less effective.

Sponsored Links
Maybe if they really want to revive the Welsh language and culture , they should rename Wales itself.
Apparently Wales is an Anglo Saxon word meaning foreigner and was used as a pejorative term for native Britons.

it's likely that most of the increase in welsh speaking is by children and young people, who had it forced upon them at school.

The whole thing is a very weird social experiment, in reversing natural evolution.

Also other subjects are being taught IN welsh, so their learning in ALL other subjects is likely to be less effective.
I don't know if you're trolling; or just don't get it, but.

There is no social experiment. Welsh medium education has not been artificially expanded and kids forced into it. It has expanded to meet the demands of parents.
Your point about subjects being less effective because they are being taught in Welsh, is total *******s, without evidence to support it but with a ton of evidence to show you are wrong.

Sponsored Links
I'm not trolling, I'm discussing. I realise that nationalism is something of a religion in Wales, but you should accept that it can be questioned elsewhere.

Perhaps some are actively choosing, but lots of others just have to make do with whatever the local school happens to be.

You're suggesting that teaching a subject in a second language is at least as effective as if taught in their first language. You have not provided any evidence of this, and are just demanding that those that question it provide evidence of a lack of evidence in its favour, which is just nonsense.

If someone tried to explain the theory of relativity to me in English, my main language, I'd have a lot more chance of understanding than if it was explained in French, which I have a basic understanding of. This is just utterly obvious to anyone.

It's really sad to see Wales going back in time to some bygone era, where nobody leaves their village. The reality is that before international trade and modern languages, most people were desparately poor.

Can anyone explain the logical advantage of spending a huge amount of time teaching kids a dead language that nobody outside of Wales speaks? In addition, spending time teaching it and teaching IN it is likely to be holding kids back in all other subjects.

Where's all the evidence that Welsh-medium teaching has no ill effects? It appears that the best possible outcome is that there are no ill effects, which seems unlikely. But I don't think anyone's claiming that teaching in Welsh is BETTER than teaching in English, in which case why bother? I suspect that I know the answer, it's a political agenda.

Perhaps some are actively choosing, but lots of others just have to make do with whatever the local school happens to be. Wrong it's a choice backed up in law.

You're suggesting that teaching a subject in a second language is at least as effective as if taught in their first language. You have not provided any evidence of this, The evidence is in the numbers that jump through whatever hoops the government sets; and inspection outcomes. and are just demanding that those that question it provide evidence of a lack of evidence in its favour, which is just nonsense. Wrong. I'm stating that for wholly bilingual pupils, it is equally effective.

If someone tried to explain the theory of relativity to me in English, my main language, I'd have a lot more chance of understanding than if it was explained in French, which I have a basic understanding of. This is just utterly obvious to anyone. If you were BILINGUAL you'd understand it equally well.

Where's all the evidence that Welsh-medium teaching has no ill effects? Prove a negative? Like prove God doesn't exist. It appears that the best possible outcome is that there are no ill effects, which seems unlikely. But I don't think anyone's claiming that teaching in Welsh is BETTER than teaching in English I am telling you that Welsh medium schools routinely out perform English medium schools., in which case why bother? I suspect that I know the answer, it's a political agenda.

I commuted from Newport to various places in Bristol 20 years ago. I didn’t mind either at the time, the house price difference was staggering. Welsh folk are a lot nicer to talk to.

My brother and sister in law live in Downend. House prices there have sky rocketed. Her mum and dad live near Marizion, 500k for a shoe box.

A friends mum sold her field to Alan Titmarsh, she did very well. In the same area where locals had a massive moan about “second homes”

Downend is OK. Quite sleepy, couple of reasonable pubs there - Green Dragon and Horsehoe. At least they were in 80s when I worked at the Lloyds Bank on the Badminton Rd on the crossroads. Many a happy lunch hour spent in them. Bristol is getting silly. Lots of those from The Smoke coming down and thinking everything is a bargain and splashing big money on refurbs. Traffic is getting like London now plus the friggin' Ulezzer.

Welsh schools are inspected by the Welsh government, not independently by Ofsted or the UK government.

They conclude that all is well. As they would.

Wrong again. Welsh schools are inspected by Estyn. Estyn is to the Welsh government as Ofsted is to the UK government.

"As a Crown body, we were established under the Education Act 1992. We’re independent of the Welsh Parliament but funded by the Welsh Government (under Section 104 of the Government of Wales Act 1998)."

OK let's step away from the details and get back to the bigger picture...

What's the advantage (to kids) of educating them in Welsh?

All I've heard so far is that it's not damaging. But that's not a good reason to do something, there should be a positive advantage to it. I don't see one, other than politics and nationalism.

I also see lots of obvious disadvantages, but it appears that obvious doesn't have an equivalent word in Welsh, or in Wales.

Sponsored Links
Back