screwdriver extension and accessories?? (can't find what I need)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, Please excuse my bad English (I am British, but I am autistic and to be honest, I don't know the "real" names of things, I call them names of what makes sense to me, but going into stores is hard, not only trying to explain what I need, I can't speak well on top of that.

So, I am after 2 things, I believe they are the same sort of thing but slightly different.

I am after a screwdriver extension bit for a position bit set that will magnetic the screwhead, so the screw itself will stay on the screwdriver, allowing me to screw with greater ease. The heads of the screwdriver bits is 4mm. I am also after a normal size extension screwdriver bit that will do angles, again magnetic so the screw will stay on the screwdriver for greater ease.

I just need to know what I need to search for... google does not understand my searches. To be fair I do confuse google.

Thank you, Please forgive any rudeness that maybe here, I don't ever intend to be rude.

Sponsored Links
Hello, Please excuse my bad English (I am British, but I am autistic and to be honest, I don't know the "real" names of things, I call them names of what makes sense to me, but going into stores is hard, not only trying to explain what I need, I can't speak well on top of that.

So, I am after 2 things, I believe they are the same sort of thing but slightly different.

I am after a screwdriver extension bit for a position bit set that will magnetic the screwhead, so the screw itself will stay on the screwdriver, allowing me to screw with greater ease. The heads of the screwdriver bits is 4mm. I am also after a normal size extension screwdriver bit that will do angles, again magnetic so the screw will stay on the screwdriver for greater ease.

I just need to know what I need to search for... google does not understand my searches. To be fair I do confuse google.

Thank you, Please forgive any rudeness that maybe here, I don't ever intend to be rude.
heeelllooo
Gaogier
i am not diagnosed as autistic but suspect i am quite a bit as order compliance structure and where things are going matters a lot to me feeling secure
in general my english is i would say very bad the people are understanding and helpful on this forum they are all magical in understanding and being helpful(y)
in general the correct bit will hold the screw without a magnet we need to know the type off screw to suggest options as in pozi 1/2 or phillips 1/2 or other options ?

Last edited:
I am after a screwdriver extension bit for a position bit set that will magnetic the screwhead, so the screw itself will stay on the screwdriver, allowing me to screw with greater ease. The heads of the screwdriver bits is 4mm.
Assuming that you are referring to slotted screws (the type driven with a traditional straight screwdriver) then what you are probably looking for is called a "magnetic screw finder" like this item from Amtech:

Amtech Magnetic Screw Finder.jpg

It is basically a bit holder, with a magnet in the end (much as a "standard" magnetic bit holder would have) and a sliding shield on the outside. A lot of ironmongers and even ironmongery market stalls carry them.

An alternative which works with a traditional-style slotted hand screwdriver is the Wera screw claw:

Wera Screw Claw.jpg

Available in various sizes, but not not as widely available as the first item

I am also after a normal size extension screwdriver bit that will do angles, again magnetic so the screw will stay on the screwdriver for greater ease.
What you probably need is called an "angle drill adaptor" but you need to look for the type with a 1/4in hex drive like this one:

Angle Drill Adaptor.jpg

They are often either 90° or 105° angle (I find the 105° type a bit easier to use), but AFAIK they aren't magnetic, so you'd need to install a magnetic bit holder in the socket to hold both bit and screw. Again, commonly available

I am not diagnosed as autistic but suspect i am quite a bit as order compliance structure and where things are going matters a lot to me feeling secure
Oh I don't know B-A - they say we're all somewhere on the spectrum ;)

Vive la difference!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Gaogier. As Big-Al said, people on here are very understanding, (though there is a bit of bickering between certain members. The easy answer is not to get involved in their squabbles), and most will try to give you helpful advice or direct you to where you may get some.
When it comes to tools, especially woodworking tools, JobandKnock is the expert. His advice on anything wood related is invaluable and a lot of us on here have learnt a lot from him.
Hope to see you posting more.

Sponsored Links
Thank you.

This isn't what I need and looking for. I have all the bits I need. However I need a magnetic extender/adapter or something that allows the bits to grab the screw, so I can use it at all angles. I am looking for the standard sized ones and the 4mm ones. I have currently been using a N35 Neodymium Magnet on the bit, then using that to hold the screws, however I need and want to get one that is firmly "built in", as the magnet keeps popping off onto other metal items nearby. I hope this makes a bit more sense??

So, I am disabled, I have spinal issues, and a completely destroyed ankle (I am after a amputation to remove pain sometime in a few years, unless it won't remove pain) Anyway it means that I can only do things a certain way.

The only thing I was extremely good at was playing Rugby, I could play anywhere and if anyone in the team was injured or couldn't play, I would play in that place (even though I was better than them). Other than that, I am not great at anything, in school I wanted to learn about computers etc, but I was not allowed as I wasn't cleaver enough, and they thought it would be a waste of time. Anyway, when I left that school to go to secondary school was when I was allowed on computers and I wanted to do something with them in my future work. I never really got good enough to do anything with it, but was able to do some bits for myself well enough for me to do bits and pieces. I got into web stuff, then software stuff. I then got into gaming, and recently (after my macbook pro) somehow broke I kind of did nothing.

In 2020, back in January I decided to try and fix my Macbook pro, as my iMac also broke. I got all my tools ready to fix my imac, I got it working, but by this time it was out dated and unsupported, so I built my PC. I then decided to get into BBQing as it was getting nice weather and decided last year to build an outdoor kitchen. This year, I have had people come in and to repair my wall in my bedroom, and now I have a bug in me to do more DIY stuff.

I am not the best at anything now days, but I am okay and can do a good job for me, but no where near the skill level that most DIYers have.

I have a tapestry up in my room that is fixed on a wood frame, I had to remake the frame, and re staple the tapestry on it, and my stapler broke and I had to fix that, but the magnet on the screwdriver kept coming off with the screws in hard to reach areas.

I have a whole bunch of ideas and plans to do this year and into the next too.

My plans that I will be here asking for advise.

I plan to redo my flooring in my room (using hardwood plywood)
I need to make a cat house/scratch post/steps so they can easily get in and out of my 1st story window (1 floor up from ground level)
I need to make a sword cabinet for 4 swords, a machete and a few knives.
I need to replace a 3.5 headphone connection
I need to repair my laptop motherboard (I believe there is a chip issue, and replace a screen connecter cable.
I need to finish my light switch homemade light finger plate, and install it.
I need to make a complete wall shelving unit for things I want to display.
I need to make a wheelie bin pergola extension from my shed
I need to replace/sort out my BBQ kitchen heat reflector shield as its completely rusted
I need to resharpen all the tools that we have, and our knives (from the kitchen)
I also need to either remake or somehow add a very thin wood reface (its currently made of MDF) and I want pine wood beach stain (from Wilko) desk.

if you use the correct bit it should be firm in the screw with no real movement
i use wera gold bits i only have pz bits as all wood screws i use are pz1/2 or 3[pozi]
i have some ph [philips ] bits but dont get much use
a good bit will carry a screw sitting on top off the bit
a very good bit will carry the screw pointing forward on the bit
an excellent bit will grip the screw firmly pointing down this is a good new bit before it wears in so my advice is use a new bit to carry the screws start them off and iff a large screws swap to an older bit to drive home to avoid the bit wearing too quickly or be prepared to go through a bit every 20-50 screws before coming a bit loose and not carrying a screw in a tight situation
and non off my holders contain magnets for screw holding

Last edited:
I need a magnetic extender/adapter or something that allows the bits to grab the screw, so I can use it at all angles
AFAIK depending on your specific needs, there may be no such thing as a single tool to do this - to hold a screw you need an appropriate bit, either in a magnetic holder or in a screw finder type sleeve holder. To get into awkward spaces (i.e. use at an angle), your bit holder needs to be held in some form of angle drive of the type that both @^woody^ and I referenced in our replies. Most often this means something like a "right angle" driver - but they are NOT magnetic and need to be used in conjunction with a magnetic bit holder. For shallower angles you can use a magnetic offset drive of this type:

Offset Bit Holder.png

which is also used in conjunction with a 1/4in hex drive bit. Never had much use for the bendy flexible type extenders - they seem to need 3 hands to use them, but I only have two!

I am looking for the standard sized ones and the 4mm ones.
To clarify, "standard size ones" doesn't actually mean that much: There are three main types screw heads used for woodworking and metal working screws these days - Phillips (mainly on plastics and metals), Pozidrive (mainly wood, some metals) and Torx - but the most commonly used sizes are probably Ph #1, Ph #2 (Phillips no.1 and no.2), PZD #1, PZD #2 and PZD #3 (Pozi drive #1, #2 and #3), and Torx (in a variety of sizes from about Tx #12 up to Tx #30). If you were to push me the "standard size" (i.e. the most commonly used sizes) I'd have to say PZD#2 for woodwork and Ph#2 for metalwork are the most universally used. Then you say "4mm". Do you mean 4mm slotted?

To give you some idea of the range of screw heads there are there, take a look at this illustration:

Screw Head Types.png

In a lifetime you might just come across maybe 1/5 of those (and this is by far from a comprehensive list and doesn't include many of the security screw types!), but the most common in the UK, are slotted, Phillips, Torx, Pozidrive and hex socket/Allen. All of them come in a variety of sizes.

Most of the time a driver bit mounted in a magnetic bit holder will hold onto screws of the PH, Tx, PZD and Allen types - but the won't hold onto slotted screws - for which you need the "screw finder" I referenced in my earlier post because the sliding shield needs to be pulled up, the screw inserted, then the shield extended before screwing. This is because without that shield the screw will quickly go off centre and throw out from the bit holder. These are the type of bits I use for slotted screws, Up to about 6mm will fit inside a screw finder:

CK Slotted Screwdriver Bit Set.png

BTW a gob of grease will often hold an awkward screw which is uncooperative or non-magnetic (e.g. brass, bronze, stainless steel or plastic)

As to your projects, at least for the woodworking projects might I suggest that you download a copy of Trimble SketchUp (the non-pro version is still free) and learn the basics of that. It's a great way to visualise 3D objects and you'll find that I use it quite a bit when trying to explain the principles of different processes, like here and here (scroll down to get to the SketchUp drawings)

Extractor Cabinet 003 Back Scribed ver 3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
foxhole, this is perfect, its not an extension but an addon that allows the same thing. I just need to find one for 4mm precision screwdrivers.

a wee bit confusion here i think
hex drives are 1/4" /6.35 mm at the business end 4mm is probably a screw[shank] size or similar
but off course i could be wrong as ------ i am still learning :rolleyes:

B-A I now have a feeling that the OP is actually talking about a slotted screwdriver or possibly a jeweller's screwdriver(?) although the biggest of those that I've ever seen was something like 3.2mm (1/8in). In which case a screwdriver magnetiser would be the way to go. It was talk of an "extension" which threw me and others

4mm is probably a screw[shank] size or similar
OP is actually talking about a slotted screwdriver or possibly a jeweller's screwdriver(?)

He's talking about this type of bit set...

They are 4mm hex shaft/shank instead of the quarter inch we're all used to. For mobile phone/laptop repair etc. Always comes with Pentalobe for Apple products, spanner bit(snake eyes), etc, the oddball types you need for those devices.

B-A I now have a feeling that the OP is actually talking about a slotted screwdriver or possibly a jeweller's screwdriver(?) although the biggest of those that I've ever seen was something like 3.2mm (1/8in). In which case a screwdriver magnetiser would be the way to go. It was talk of an "extension" which threw me and others
yes you are probably right (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back