Free Gas !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
I'm beginning to get a little worried about something.

Last year I decided to convert my electric-only house into one with gas central heating. I didn't have a gas supply onto my property, but according to British Gas, "Not a problem, sir", so a few weeks later, there it was: a white box with a meter inside it, fixed to my outside wall (a remote controlled mole dug the tunnel for the pipe). The pipe, box and meter were fitted by a gas transporter company. I then got British Gas to install my central heating (the local guys did not respond to my request for quotes). I started using gas in Apr 07 and since then no-one has written to me about the gas supply and billing, etc. It wouldn't surprise me, in this computerized world, if my gas supply has fallen between the gaps in the system somewhere. I'm convinced that the folk on their computers at British Gas, and other suppliers, are confident that their computers will look after their company's interests and if my meter is not on their system, then I must be on someone else's system, and why would they look for my meter on their system, anyway? The gas transporter company did not give me any instruction to inform any of the gas companies. I reasonably assumed that British Gas would be the default supplier as it was they who contracted the transporter company to lay the pipe to my house and fit the meter and box. It seems that these two companies are not working together.

So, what should I do? I have kept a note of the meter readings and I am putting aside the money required to pay any bill that should arise. However, I am quite certain that no-one knows that I am consuming gas and, in this competitive world, no-one can claim that I am using "their" gas. Unless I contact a gas supplier, I don't think I will ever receive a gas bill.

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't be surprised if BG wake up one day and send you a whopping bill - best talk to them!

Happened to a friend of mine. Gas was reconnected to the house and heating installed. He thought exactly the same thing until one day an investigation officer knocks at his door from BG and asks if he's to gas and what appliances he has.

He explains that BG re-connected and he was waiting for a bill. The BG man say's fine, takes a meter reading and writes down a few notes, a few days later he recieves the bill from BG plus £150 or £250 (can't remember) charge for investigation costs and 7 days to pay it before legal action commenced!

After a few phone calls i think he managed to spread the payments over a longer period but didnt manage to shake off the added charge.

At the end of the day there not stupid and everyone knows you have to pay for gas, so there really is no excuse for sorting out a supplier!

HTH Sam

:idea: With fluctuating (increasing :cry: ) energy prices, it might be worth having a regular record of gas consumption in case they try and charge the whole bill at the highest rate they possibly can when they do catch up.

Sponsored Links
:idea: With fluctuating (increasing :cry: ) energy prices, it might be worth having a regular record of gas consumption in case they try and charge the whole bill at the highest rate they possibly can when they do catch up.

Good idea & also put money aside for it.

Got someone locally who hasn't had a bill for 12 years despite regularly informing them and doing everything she can to get one. You won't get free gas though a bill will come sooner or later, probably on the next computer system update and you will be billed retrospectively so make sure you are tucking away what you should be paying.

contrary to popular belief and supposedly confirmed by one of my two customers with free gas, they cannot bill you for retrospectively for a period that they have not notified to you as being your supplier.

in simple terms the most you are likely to be billed for the last quarter or month only.

like i say ive not confirmed this but one of my customers who has free gas phoned the CAB who gave the above advice.

If you aren't on the system, then presumably the only time the gas companies will realise is when you sell your house.
Any new buyer and their solicitor will want proof that all utilities have been paid up to completion date.
Could be difficult. Either come clean. or don't ever move!

If you aren't on the system, then presumably the only time the gas companies will realise is when you sell your house.
Any new buyer and their solicitor will want proof that all utilities have been paid up to completion date.
Could be difficult. Either come clean. or don't ever move!

if what i have been told is correct then your scenario would make no difference. admittedly you would be a brave buyer if you bought a house under such circumstances but my solicitor certainly would make sure that i wouldnt be liable for it.

i believe the main problem in circumstances like these is the that no one knows you have a gas meter. you can tell them until you are blue in the face but they just wont believe it.

I had a meter change at my house in August 2006. Since then I have not had any kind of bill from BG for all the lovely cubic metres I have used to keep me warm despite countless phone calls from me and several meter readings taken by their people at my property.
I am not reluctant to pay and always pay my bills on time but I think I have done everything I could reassonably have done under the circumstances.
No doubt I can expect some kind of enforcement visit from them eventually. He/she better be prepared for some verbal abuse from me.
That's if I can be bothered answering the door to them.

I know someone and it honeslty wasn't me, who never had a bill for 20 years from BG. Some work was carried out in the road and the gas had to be disconected for a day or so. After that a bill never came again. Someone from BG came out a year or so later and asked if there was gas at the property, they said no it was all electric and he said fine and went on his way. BG were never heard of again.

It was only when they sold the house that they informed BG they owned the property but it was a rental property and wanted to put the gas into their name until the property sells. BG said there is no supply there, to which they said yes there is come look. BG came out and said oh yeah thanks for being so honest and telling us :LOL: After 20 years of gas they had a bile of about 20 quid until the house sold. BG do have many people fall between the gaps, but becareful a knock on the door a year or so later could end up very costly.

We had this with WATER when we bought our new house. The bloke who sold it to us actually built it about 15 years before. he said he wrote to NW Water twice but never received an invoice. We called them because after some months we had had nothing; they told us we didn't exist! We decided to get registered and pay up in case we ever had a problem and needed them to come out. Got the impression they didn't really care a damn.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back