Free TV channels for VCR and Sky use!

Very interesting that about the falklands,When i was a young lad used to go to the local tip looking for old radios bringing them home to either repair or use for parts i'm talking about the valve stuff.
I used to listen to broadcast short wave a lot back then.
I used to be given stuff and somebody gave a tv and fixed it and i had it in my bedroom,people were lucky to have a tv in the front room nevermind the bedroom in those days.

I always wanted to go into amature radio but i did a bit of CB nine years ago and was a member of a club in warrington and the rig doctor (ernie the oily rag) he was radio ham and some my mate did the exam.
I was thinking about it then my mother had a stroke so it was four looking after her so had no time.
I might do it one of these days but too many commitments at the moment.

Iv'e got other recordings of tv hams used to get one from buckley,wales GW6MUO and G8VHF from stockport and thats a nice callsign to have.

Incidently i have spectrum still in it's box.

andy

Sponsored Links
At the end of my school days I was also interested in electronics and on the local tip we found the odd radio and TV we could get resistors etc from.
Anyway old woman wanted us to repair her Radio it had three triode valves in it 2 volt heaters from accumulator and 90 volt dry battery for the rest. Only needed new valves but we couldn't source any. We had however found a transistor radio that worked with smashed case so we carefully hid the transistor radio inside old valve set. Had to swap volume control and variable capacitor for tuning and hid new speaker in front of old one.
We returned it to old lady and told her see would need to use 9 volt battery instead of 90 volt now as we had modified it a bit.
6 months later she cornered me on the street. She thanked me again for repair and said how the old valve set gave a much better sound than these new transistor sets and she hadn't needed to have the accumulator charged once. She was happy so I just agreed. About 1966.
After all that it was 1982 before I got first Ham licence and 1991 before I got UK one. Final one was just before take-over of Hong Kong odd they needed to see my C&G taken in UK and they were in different zone so band plan different. So now have GW7MGW, VP8BKM, and VR2ZEP call signs only the GW7MGW is still valid.
But radio licence now taken in stages so a lot easier and Morse code requirement has been dropped.
Saying that I have not used the radio in years.
Although couple of years ago I got my degree in electrical and electronic engineering
Eric

Happy days nice story things were simpler then but with all the this digital stuff i feel sorry for the elderly who can't understand it.
But my elderly neighbours have got me to help them out and my nextdoor neighbour asked me come round because his cable box was being changed,So i had to ask the virgin media engineer to put the rf out on the to CH 69 because the cable boxes come tuned CH 52 BBC 1 wales by default because he has piped through to his bedroom.
So i asked the engineer how access the setup menu and he asked me why i wanted to know and i said there's another neighbour with the same problem.
Anyway he showed me.

andy

Sponsored Links
If you post the model of the video i'll see if i can find any info but usually you have to go into the setup menu,But some like toshibas you have press eject for more than 3 secs i have one the only problem is it only tunes from 52-68 hopeless where i live.
Thanks I found a PDF instruction book and it was press and hold menu button to change channel. Easy when you know how.
When all else fails real the manual.
The computer gets me going, not too bad with what I have been taught but the free software is just a little different to microsoft and it seems I am only one who can't steel copies of microsoft so when I have a problem no one seems to know how to fix it. Including my wife who is studying for a degree in computing and my sister who is a computer analysis.
Mind you even microsoft seems to have problems my version of Writer has both Welsh and UK English loaded up but can't find how load up Welsh spell check in Word which is not really a problem as I use Writer as my version of Word will not read the new word documents but Writer will so good by microsoft.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back