Freedom of speech...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The UK government has quite rightly condemned the attack on Salman Rushdie as an attack on the freedom of speech/expression...

Boris Johnson is quoted as saying that he is, "appalled that Sir Salman Rushdie has been stabbed while exercising a right we should never cease to defend"

So how come at the same time?

"Guest speakers at the Cabinet Office will have their social media accounts vetted to check whether they have ever criticised government policy before they can take part in events, according to new rules.

The Cabinet Office policy applies to outsiders coming into the department to take part in “learning and development” events. Managers are being urged to carefully check the backgrounds of such guests, including by trawling through up to five years of posts"

Sponsored Links
If anybody that wants to be a position of influence, public etc doesn't know what information about them or by them is out there, they really should reconsider their role. Everybody should take reputation management a bit more seriously. I worked for an agency for a while and one person's role was investigating all prospects by trawling through their social media accounts.

Bloke I know is a ship bloke. He has all sorts of "tickets", does special marine jobs, teaches etc. Something "Classified" came up, so the suits went round his house to interview him. He said the people who came presented him with all his banking and social media accounts and their contents, even ones (latter) he'd forgotten about, covering years. Felt very "big brother" for him but they said it was routine, they just "Query the system". Spooky.

(I think it was something around a sensitive oil connector pipeline.)

Sponsored Links
Yer partial quote and silly comparison , as typical of your posts, is misrepresentation.
Do tell us which bit is 'misrepresentation'...

But hey, if you are happy to believe that vetting of political views is ok then so be it...

After all the right to advocate censorship is an individual's right, isn't it?

Do tell us which bit is 'misrepresentation'...

But hey, if you are happy to believe that vetting of political views is ok then so be it...

After all the right to advocate censorship is an individual's right, isn't it?
What you wrote doesn't accurately represent the explanation of the entire situation. Simple. Did you read it all? If so you don't need me.
You're a biased person so you select, and quote, what you want.
Then create your straw-men.

Same old same old.
Whenever you post something, especially anything new, I always expect it to be have elements of the same errors of non-objectivity. Like the incorrect stuff about brain stem death recently where a number of posters reacted against the illogic.
I daresay others prejudge you similarly, but like me, usually, can't be assed to take you to bits.

Its not quite the same thing to be murdered or suffer attempted murder, vs having your published opinions vetted. Would you not expect to get disciplined if you slagged off your employer publicly?

Would you not expect to get disciplined if you slagged off your employer publicly?
Where does it say these "outsiders coming into the department to take part in “learning and development” events" are employed by the Cabinet Office?
('guest speakers' kind of gives away their status)

But then I guess that you agree with the 'principle' that anyone who wishes to contribute must agree with the cabinet office?

Could you tell us what value they would be allowed to add to a 'debate'?

Seems you are the perfect 'yes man'!

I despise this stinking, lying bunch of Tory chiselers with a vengeance. But... with the 'we will find it all out' world we now live in, of course the government of the day ought to make sure it vets those it invites through the door.

I despise this stinking, lying bunch of Tory chiselers with a vengeance. But... with the 'we will find it all out' world we now live in, of course the government of the day ought to make sure it vets those it invites through the door.
So let's get this straight...

Do you believe the government should exclude anyone who doesn't hold the same opinions/values that they have at any given time?

Yes or no!

The Online Safety Bill is upon us and said to be close to consideration in the HoC.
It will have consequences for what can be said online and affect everyone's internet interactions.
So, behave.
Big Brother will be watching you.

Do you believe the government should exclude anyone who doesn't hold the same opinions/values that they have at any given time?
That isn't what is proposed. Back to school for you...

So let's get this straight...

Yes or no!
Dumb question, but they don't do that. Read the report. It says so.

Sponsored Links
Back