Freeing a 110mm soil stack fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to rotate a section of my soil stack where the washing machine comes in on a boss to neaten up the pipe work. But I can't get enough grip on it to overcome the rubber ring seals on each end. Could do with some advice!

Sponsored Links
Hey picasso have you seen the shape of a tight oil filter when you take them off using those? :LOL:
I wouldn't fancy using one on a plastic pipe. ;)

Sponsored Links
I have one with a rubber strap which won't damage the pipe so much I would suspect!

Hey picasso have you seen the shape of a tight oil filter when you take them off using those? :LOL:
I wouldn't fancy using one on a plastic pipe. ;)

I reckon a soil stack has a bit more strength than the tin can that they use for oil filters, if the pipe cant take the pressure use something else :idea:

What surfaces or materials are OK to use WD-40 Multi-Use Product on?
WD-40 Multi-Use Product can be used on just about everything. It is safe to use on metal, rubber, wood and plastic. It can also be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40 Multi-Use Product.

http://wd40.com/faqs/#a98

You might cause problems with seals or fittings elsewhere, as if you do manage to rotate the stack, you've no guarantee which joints will bind solid and which will slip. The top joint where the brown joins the grey seems to be orientated backwards or might well be a solvent weld. If so then it will turn with the stack. In fact the brown ring sitting on top of the support clamp suggests something's not quite right so maybe better to avoid rotating anything. Otherwise you might (literally) be in deep sh*t.
How about simply blanking off the existing strap boss and fit a new one in the desired orientation

Thanks for all you help guys. I bought a Boa Constrictor which did work a bit, but the amount of force I was needing to apply made me give up and just add a new boss higher up!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back