Freeview & Freesat from Sky - both bugging me

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anybody like me on a Freeview relay transmitter where yesterday's retune was a downgrade?
We already received less channels than people on a main transmitter did and after yesterday's downgrade we receive less. I do not understand why "relay transmitter" doesn't mean just that - it relays what the main transmitter carries. I can't find out if it is caused by lack of investment / poor planning by Freeview so the transmitters do not have the required capacity or because of the commercial structure of the operation. If it is a commercial issue I feel the contracts should be restructured so if a channel wants to come under the Freeview umbrella it must be prepared to give a complete service.
It seems to be another example like broadband where the rural population doesn't matter and the digital revolution is allowed to pass us by. I feel a campaign coming on.
If that wasn't enough, today I got a message on my Freesat fro Sky connection saying I needed a new viewing card. I thought the £20 I had paid was for ever (the clue is in the name - free) but now they want another £20 or I lose channels.
Just been watching Electronic Dreams in a 70's house, looks like I'm heading that way, where did I leave those flares?

Sponsored Links
its all to do with signal strength
i have 4 freeveiw boxes and each gets most but not all for example sky3 /sky sports and dave are avalable up stairs but not down stairs upstairs being closer to the booster and the ariel

my father that lives 1 mile away gets a simmilar but different channels

all the signals will improve as the digital will be boosted when the analouge is turned off

I have seen this
bbc%20retune%20message.jpg
for last week but on the 30th I allowed my TV to rescan and I see no real difference and analogue channels are still there.

But I did notice when scanning one Multiplex seemed to be at a lower frequency than before so I will guess there have been some changes.

I still use a banded aerial so the new frequencies are likely out of band for my aerial and as a result likely poor reception.

Also like many people I have a Sky box, Video and SCART to RF box which use RF to distribute signals around the house.

It is therefore possible that one of these is blocking one of the freeview signals. Where my parents live we have had problems with channel 5 because it's multiplex frequency is on default frequency used by sky boxes and a neighbors sky blocks their signal.

However not really worth doing anything as by Christmas all will be completed.

I do use a free to air box but a cheap one with very poor electronic program guide. So I will use freeview but seems I will need to move my aerial from horizontal to vertical and move around 15 deg to West to pick up the Storton Transmitter which after change over will have both Welsh and English TV so I am on a diet so I can squeeze through window onto kitchen roof to move aerial. (Don't like ladders)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back