Freeview: picture is naff until it warms up!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the Yorks area, we converted to digital about 6 months ago.
I then bought a Samsung digital TV and everything has been working fine. I am in sight of the Emley transmitter, so signal should be strong.

The following fault started a few weeks back:

* After switching on, colours look "washed out" and out-of-phase. Like the psychedelic sequences in films!
* After a few minutes the picture is perfect.

It's like the receiver is warming up...

Sponsored Links
In the Yorks area, we converted to digital about 6 months ago.
I then bought a Samsung digital TV and everything has been working fine. I am in sight of the Emley transmitter, so signal should be strong.

The following fault started a few weeks back:

* After switching on, colours look "washed out" and out-of-phase. Like the psychedelic sequences in films!
* After a few minutes the picture is perfect.

It's like the receiver is warming up...

Sounds like a bad joint (on the printed circuit board, not in your hand) or a bad component somewhere. I'd send it back before the warranty expires.

If the manual mentions a 'High definition 405 line system' then this would be a standard feature.

Sponsored Links
This is definitely a problem with the aerial connection.

A new aerial cable has no effect.
Adjusting the aerial connection (pushing in, or pulling out slightly) fixes the problem for a while. But it always returns...

Maybe a duff connection?

My dad also has problems with an intermittent aerial connection fault... digital TVs don't seem to be built to last.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back