Freezer door has too much vacuum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know freezers are supposed to be airtight but ours has way too much suction.
Sometimes it‘s neigh on impossible to open it without reaching down the bottom of the door to prize/pull it open.
It’s a built in appliance even and the facade door has been pulled off as the suction was too much.

Any suggestions please?

Sponsored Links
Perhaps make a pin-hole in the rubber seal (but be careful to avoid any defrost heating element in the seal)?

The seal has a built in magnet, but if you open it twice in short succession then the 2nd opening has the extra grab of the suction too. Is it hard to open on a 1st time opening?

I know freezers are supposed to be airtight but ours has way too much suction.
Sometimes it‘s neigh on impossible to open it without reaching down the bottom of the door to prize/pull it open.
It’s a built in appliance even and the facade door has been pulled off as the suction was too much.

Any suggestions please?

We used to have a (freestanding) hotpoint freezer. Once you closed the door you had to wait about 15/30 seconds before you could open it again. My mum had the same model, and exactly the same problem.

Sounds silly, but closing the door more slowly may help to reduce the vacuum.

Sponsored Links
TBH this is a pretty basic freeze/fridge. only has one temp control knob which governs fridge and freezer. Quite cak TBH. Not even sure if its sophisticated enough to have a door magnet ?

Good advice about closing the door slower will try!
..and yes this issue happens even if the door hasn't been opened for a day/hours. could also be the hot weather. Air getting inside, and then contracting when the door closes.
In the mean time we have gaffer taped a thin straw to the seal, so it's not a full-on tight vacuum, it's a super small 'breather' hole, but seems to be doing the job for now!

All fridge and freezer use magnetic strip in the door seal, my fridge and freezer both have a lever action which helps break the seal as they are tall (1.8m+) units .
You could cut the top of the seal and remove some of the magnets strip resealing with super glue .

I have an Ice King freezer and it is horrendous for this. You would swear blind someone had locked the lid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back