Freezer Trips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm replacing our Fridge/Freezer and was reading about RCD tripping on freezers. Is that correct or not? I was reading that some sockets for Fridge/Freezers are wired independent. I have 2 places to put the FF in the kitchen, how can identify if sockets are different? Is this irrelevant or not?
Thanks Again....

Sponsored Links
Fridge/Freezer can trip RCD, as will many other domestic appliances if not all.
The dedicate socket for named appliances with regards to the exclusion of RCD protection within domestic properties, is quite a new regulation, so if your socket circuits have not been rewired since 2008, I doubt you will have an existing dedicated socket. The circuit needs to formed so the cable is mechanically protected along it's route and the socket plate engraved to indicate what appliance it serves.
If you do not have a dedicated circuit and are not considering installing one, I suggest that when you go away and for periods of time where stored food can perish if thawed or unrefrigerated, that you either don't store the food or ask someone to store it for you. I assume the circuits in the property are RCD protected.

The ali-tube cable required to wire a socket without RCD protection is expensive and hard to buy in short lengths so it is unlikely that you have a dedicated socket for freeze.

RCD's are not all the same. The less on a circuit controlled by a RCD the less likely it is to trip so using RCBO's instead of a main RCD feeding many MCB's is less likely to trip without cause. The X-Pole RCD has a warning light to show when leakage is getting high and is a special design to only trip between 90% and 100% or rating but most trip between 50% and 100% of rating. There is even one designed to auto reset
however at around £350 each these are designed for remote water pumping stations and the like rather than domestic.

In real terms I have 2 x 30ma RCD's fitted around 1992 and they have never tripped while on holiday. Before leaving house when going on holiday I would insure nothing left plugged in and all FCU's switched off so the RCD only feeds the fridge/freezer while on holiday so unlikely to trip without due cause. When at home with all sorts plugged in yes it does trip every now and again but never happened while on holiday. If it did I am insured.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I'm replacing our Fridge/Freezer and was reading about RCD tripping on freezers. Is that correct or not?
It will trip if the freezer is faulty. This applies to the new one just as much as the old.
However freezers tripping RCDs is a rare or never occurrence - consider how many times your old one has done this in the entire time you have owned it.

Consider these possibilities:
1. If the freezer itself is faulty, then it won't work, regardless of what circuit it is connected to or what protective devices are installed.
2. If some other thing trips the RCD and the freezer is also affected, people will notice rather quickly, as other stuff won't be working any more. The RCD will be reset or action taken to correct the fault. As freezers can keep the contents frozen for many hours without power, this is not a problem either.
3. If the freezer was on it's own circuit and something went wrong, it is much less likely anyone will notice until it's too late.
4. If some problem occurs while you are on holiday causing the RCD to trip, then the freezer contents will be ruined. However faults generally occur in appliances people are using such as kettles, irons and so on - not likely to occur while the place is unoccupied.
5. If some other fault in the wiring or other fixed appliance causes the RCD to trip when you are not there, you would want the RCD to trip and disconnect power. Otherwise whatever the fault was could cause a fire and destroy your entire house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back