Got A Shock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Literally.

I assumed (I know) that the wiring for the programmer for my boiler was running off the sockets circuit. I turned off all the MCB's except for the fridge freezer, and ended up getting a shock.

My two issues are this.

1) Should this be wired up to the fridge freezer circuit?

And

2) Why didn't the MCB/RCD or whatever it is trip? :confused:

Sponsored Links
You should never assume. You should have tested for dead.

1) Should this be wired up to the fridge freezer circuit?
Electrical circuits can supply anything you want.
Why do you not ask why the fridge is on the heating circuit?

It may be so wired so that the two appliances are NOT on an RCD so that they don't fail while you are away.

2) Why didn't the MCB/RCD or whatever it is trip? :confused:
An MCB, there to protect the cable, would not trip as you were just a normal load as far as it is concerned and not overloading the circuit.

Is there an RCD for this circuit (as above)?

We protect against two different things.
1) fire
2) shock
In some cases they overlap but our rules also say we should split into circuits so a fault on one circuit will not affect another.

There are some faults which can be easy missed for example the shared neutral which can cause a seemingly dead circuit to become live as you start working on it.

From your description I am unsure exactly what has happened so the big question is what were you doing to get the shock?

We talk of isolating but this does vary we are permitted to isolated line only with a TN system but must isolate both line and neutral i.e. all live wires with a TT system so the system earth is rather important.

Please try and expand giving more details so the question can be answered and we can work out if there is a fault in the system or a fault in working practices used by you.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back