Rewiring Kitchen - A Couple of Questions for the Pro's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently rewiring the kitchen.

The wires were all messed up so what ive done is took the kitchen out of the downstairs ring main, so now all the downstairs sockets are on 1 x 32a MCB with 30ma RCD Protection.

I am going to run in new wiring for the Cooker and the Kitchen Sockets.

What i was planning on doing was running a ring from the 32a breaker in the celler to all the sockets in the kitchen. This includes 4 doubles above base unit. And two doubles behind the base units, for the fridge freezer and the washing machine.

Also gonna do two doubles at wall unit height, one for the cooker extractor fan and one for a wall cupboard mounted microwave.

My question is - putting the fridge freezer and the dishwasher on the 30ma RCD kitchen main - am i gonna keep tripping it??

Should i wire the fridge freezer and the washing machine to non rcd protected mcb?

thanks

Gaz

Sponsored Links
My question is - putting the fridge freezer and the dishwasher on the 30ma RCD kitchen main - am i gonna keep tripping it??

Only if they are faulty.

But are you aware that this is legally notifable work under the Building Regulations?

As dingbat says it is notifiable work. For good reason I think. I replied to your other post before reading this.

This post seems to read like that you think a fridge freezer or a washing machine will be likely to trip an RCD. This is a bit of a worry as to your understanding of what you are doing.

Often a fridge freezer is put on a dedicated non-RCD circuit because if a fault elsewhere trips the RCD then it will defrost. I don't know why you would consider putting a washing machine on such a circuit. Don't take this the wrong way, DIY should be encouraged, but where electricity is concerned you need to know what you are doing, and if it involves notifiable work then you need a sparky :D

The reason i was thinking of putting the fridge freezer and the washer on a seperate cct was because i come across an install once where the fridge and washing maching kept tripping due to the earth leakage but this was normal operation.

Sponsored Links
As BAS says it isnt normal for them to leak to earth unless faulty. Computer equipment has an earth leakage of approx 3mA so its common to put dedicated computer sockets on non RCD circuits, but they should be T-bar sockets or similar.

I have my washer / dryer, fridge/freezer, dishwasher, toaster, kettle, and lots of IT equipment on a single 30mA RCD. It has tripped once since I installed it about 6 years ago.

This strangely coincided with the steam iron making a blue flash and a loud bang. Strange how these things come along at once. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back