French door bowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I recently had french doors installed with side windows and a top window. I noticed that after opening both doors they are difficult to close.

On closer inspection, it appears that the strip of frame above the doors (marked red in the below photo) and under the top window is not ridged enough and bows down after opening both doors.

When the doors are open I am able to push the strip of frame up by at least an inch.

Is anyone able to tell me if this is a design/manufacturing fault with the unit or a problem with fitting please?

Thanks,
Daniel :D

Sponsored Links
seems to me to be design fault, however could be fitting, get them back but watch what they do so they dont bodge it, if the customer is watching its harder to cut corners

they will probably have sat glass on packers that are in the middle so weight pressing downwards try refitting with packers in the corner so weight is on the welds

When the doors are open he can push the top of the frame up an inch so it won't be that

Sponsored Links
I could be that the frame is too tight in the width and its bowing the transom down, it could also be the cill has a slight bow upwards due to uneven bricks or mortar that hasn't been cleaned of properly causing them to toe and heel the doors further than normal meaning they are catching the top....either way the fitters need to come back to inspect and come up with a plan

Thanks for the replies everyone.

There are no fixings in the head (the top is a steal lintel - completely horizontal)

Don't think the frame is too tight, I saw it going in.

The fitters (also supplied) have agreed to come out this week, I will update after.

Cheers again,
Dan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back