French Door Install Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Looking for some advice on how to install a set of inward opening uPVC French doors in an external wall.

The current set up is a DG window so I need to make the opening for the doors in a stone built wall that is about 2' thick. I have installed French doors before but the issue I have with these is that they open inwards so the hinges are on the inside, which does not leave much of a gap from the edge of the frame to accommodate the plasterboard that I intended to butt up to the frame, which is what I have done previously. Can anyone advise the best course of action?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Well if the doors are already made then not much, if still to be ordered ask for a 20mm extender on each side to be included in the size, when fitting doors which open in always always ALWAYS specify an add on to the hinge side unless you have full control of the plaster line

Well if the doors are already made then not much, if still to be ordered ask for a 20mm extender on each side to be included in the size, when fitting doors which open in always always ALWAYS specify an add on to the hinge side unless you have full control of the plaster line
Thanks for the reply. The doors are actually a cancelled order that I have the opportunity of buying at a much reduced price. Aside from the fact that they open inwards, they are the colour I want. It does not matter to me which way they open too much as I can accommodate either aside from the issue I have highlighted. I was hopeful that as I have yet to make the opening there would be some way around the issue.

As Crank says , ideally addon should be specified but as yours are a mis measure then this is mute. What is the frame width, compared to the existing window width ( internal reveal to internal reveal )?

Sponsored Links
As Crank says , ideally addon should be specified but as yours are a mis measure then this is mute. What is the frame width, compared to the existing window width ( internal reveal to internal reveal )?

Hi, the current reveal is 820mm and the frame width of the doors is 1620mm.

Thanks.

So you are going to be making the opening wider then to get 1620 doors in an 820 reveal, so new lintel etc? , just cut your new opening to 1660 and get some 20mm addons as suggested by Crank, plenty of room then for plaster etc ( unless going for insulated plasterboard then you may need a wider addon)

Ah I wasn't aware you were altering the window aperture, that's now a different scenario and doable, however it will need LABC involvement now if you're altering the width

So you are going to be making the opening wider then to get 1620 doors in an 820 reveal, so new lintel etc? , just cut your new opening to 1660 and get some 20mm addons as suggested by Crank, plenty of room then for plaster etc ( unless going for insulated plasterboard then you may need a wider addon)
Perfect solution then Ronniecabers, I have looked them up on the internet and see that they are quite easy to source in the finish I require. Thanks.

Ah I wasn't aware you were altering the window aperture, that's now a different scenario and doable, however it will need LABC involvement now if you're altering the width
Oh yes, I am aware about BC but they are quite easy to deal with thankfully in my location. Thanks to you and Ronniecabers for the advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back