French doors - altering or replacing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some small wooden French doors - with the glass on each side divided into 4 panes. I've been thinking of improving the view into the garden by just having plain glass. Would it be a simple job to remove the 3 horizontal cross pieces on each side and refit with single panes of glass?
I'm not capable of doing the work myself though.
Or would it be more cost effective just to replace the doors - which however would have to be made to measure.

Sponsored Links
That's what I thought. I suppose I could disguise that if painting rather than varnishing though.

Sponsored Links
Try to plug the holes using offcuts from the glazing bars you take out. Glue them in so they are just shy of the surface. Then you will have a solid base to fill over rather than just using a large blob of filler. A good rub down, prime and paint and they should look ok.

Just remember, as it is a door, the new glass will need to be toughened glass.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back