French drain/trench along long side of house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm after a bit of advice.

Our house is suffering from penetrating damp around 3 sides of the house caused by high surrounding perimeter paths and raised gardens. It's an old farm house and has solid walls, no real footings and no DPC.

We have had the paths lowered as much as we can but we're at a stage where we've got to the guttering run off underground pipes so we can't go any lower and we're still at a level above the internal floors.

So it looks like we could do with a French drain around the perimeter to stop the water being held against the walls and permeating inside where it's blown all the plaster off(inside will need replastering with lime based plaster to allow it to breathe)

Anyway having unsuccessfully found any builders that didn't want to do anything apart from drill and inject i'm going to dig the drain myself. However I have a slight concern about digging a trench along the full length of one side of the house as in parts its 3 stories tall and the footings are pretty shallow.

This is a picture of the longest run I'll need to install the drain
20130827_185457.jpg

You can see it's quite a sizable wall
41162_232743A_32743_IMG_02_0000.jpg

I've sunk a few test holes along that wall till I've found what is the bottom set of stones these are only about 20cm below the level you can see in the first picture.
20130827_184446.jpg

So i'm after a bit of advice as to whether digging down to this level will jeopardise the safety of the wall in anyway? or if I were to dig down a further 10cm so that the top of the land drain pipe is level with the bottom of the footing

Thanks in advance for any advice

Sponsored Links
no expert in any shape or form
but can you lower the pipes as in can you enter the drains/soakaway any lower

Unfortunately no its not possible to lower the existing pipe work anymore as part of it runs under the front porch extension at the front so were stuck with it ss is.

The land drain/french drain will have to empty into a sump and well need a sump pump in there to pump it out when it gets full.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back