Fresh paint peeling off like paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm redecorating an old room and having trouble with painting the ceiling.

I've stripped wallpaper off the ceiling (probably 1970's) and painted a primer coat (50/50 emulsion and PVA). When I've done the second coat, the base coat is peeling off like soggy paper and exposing the plaster again.

I've scraped it all off (it came off easily with a scraper) and re-done the primer coat with straight emulsion, but the same is still happening.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening and what the solution might be?

Sponsored Links
1) the PVA

2) clean it off. There might also be wallpaper paste residue. Warm water and a broad metal scraper will remove than, keep wiping the slime off the blade.

3) prime the bare plaster with a mist coat of emulsion and water.

How old is the house? Is the plaster bare or is there something on it? d - - - - - - - r

It's 1937 - I think there's something on the plaster, it's a yellowwy colour and some grey patches underneath. It's got a plasterboard ceiling however so I assume it's been re plastered at some point.

greyish ceiling painty stuff in a house that old is probably Distemper, which is a Difficult Surface. It can be washed off with very hot water, but not cold. It has a distinctive unpleasant smell when wet as it includes a glue made from boiled-up horses hooves.

Possibly Zinsser Gardz would seal it, but wait for a pro decorator.

Sponsored Links
greyish ceiling painty stuff in a house that old is probably Distemper, which is a Difficult Surface. It can be washed off with very hot water, but not cold. It has a distinctive unpleasant smell when wet as it includes a glue made from boiled-up horses hooves.

Possibly Zinsser Gardz would seal it, but wait for a pro decorator.

It smells lovely John!! :eek: ;) ;)

Zinsser actually recommend their solvent based Allcoat for walls that have been treated with distemper but I think they still advise you to remove it all first which seems a bit odd to me - you might as well remove it and use the Gardz, as suggested. :confused: Removal was always my method when I came across it.

BTW, not the old PVA thing again? :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back