Fresh Plaster, do I need a mist coat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a room boarded and skimmed, do I need to do a mist coat?

If so can I buy some cheap white emulsion and mix with water to do it with as I am using expensive paint (thats grey)

OR

Can I just go for it? Im using Dulux endurance

Cheers boys!

Sponsored Links
Go for it! Don't give in to caution! Lo, no don't, I'm jesting!

Ok, Have a gander on the back of the tin, and it'll tell you how to use 'water' down a part of the same paint, and make a mist coat.

Which paint is it?

No it won't. Are you saying the manufacturers are wrong now? Read the back of the tin and follow the instructions. If you do that and it all goes pear-shaped they will reimburse you. If you don't - then they won't.

Sponsored Links
Won't be fine. Read your own post FFS.

Why do you insist on posting poor and confusing advice regarding mist-coating, joe? Is it because you like the attention? Maybe you like to cause people problems? Or, is it because you just don't know what you are talking about?

Using diluted contract matt for mist coats is the method that the pros use and it has proven results and longevity. Your methods of recommending vinyl emulsions for mist coats (although perfectly acceptable when done correctly) and even the use of PVA combined with emulsions is the way that DIYer's do things after reading poor advice. They then come to this forum for advice when they have issues when such methods have been used.

If you are suggesting that contract matt cannot be diluted and/or is not suitable for use on new bare plaster, then I suggest you read the back of the tins and follow the manufacturer's advice.

Honestly, you just make yourself look sillier and sillier every time you criticise correct methods and try to justify your problem-causing ones.

Capture.PNG

And, before you try to justify your arguments, you can paint over contract matt with vinyl emulsions without any issues, and it does satisfy the porosity of the plaster to allow you to do so.

Last edited:
You can certainly hinder. If you look at the label of a tin of vinyl matt paint it will say to mist coat porous surfaces. Contract matt is a porous surface - hence it needs mist coating. Don't tell me I'm wrong - tell the manufacturers because they've ALL got it wrong according to you.

Vinyl matt will indeed say that it can be diluted to mist with - it just isn't the best product for the job. Show me where I've said it can't be used! (To quote your infamous line, 'He won't.' :LOL:)

Contract matt does satisfy the porosity of new plaster. If it didn't then the next coat of paint would be just as difficult to apply as the mist coat, but it isn't. Therefore the porosity of the wall has been satisfied with the contract matt and you can then use whatever type of paint you wish on top of it.

Advise someone to use vinyl emulsion to mist with and then discover that they have an expensive flat matt paint to apply on top and they could end up with adhesion issues, as even vinyl matt has a very slight sheen.

How many more times, Mr 90?

You use a contract mist coat when your final coat will be contract.

If you use a vinyl final coat then you need a vinyl mist coat.

It's what it says on the can. Get over it or write to the manufactures and tell them they have got it wrong.

If contract isn't breathable (ie porous) how does it let the wall breathe?

Now stop posting nonsense and stop being a dinosaur.

The manufacturer knows best.

Buy some cheap white paint, water it down, paint cielings and walls white. this is your undercoat.. no need for expensive name brand under plaster primer b0llix. Another 2 generouse coats on top should do the trick nicely

plasterer doncaster

I see the points you are trying to make but:

You use a contract mist coat when your final coat will be contract.

Contract matt can be used with any emulsion as a top coat.

If you use a vinyl final coat then you need a vinyl mist coat.

Although feasible, this is not true and not the way that the majority of pros do it.

It's what it says on the can. Get over it or write to the manufactures and tell them they have got it wrong.

No can says, 'Do not use a contract matt before using vinyl emulsion'.

If contract isn't breathable (ie porous) how does it let the wall breathe?

This seems to be the main point that makes you believe you are right. The paint does indeed remain breathable but the solids within the paint have formed a layer that stops excessive amounts of water from subsequent coats being absorbed by the plaster, meaning that the next coat(s) will spread out much more evenly and easily. Give it a go - you'll be surprised!
The manufacturer knows best.

You have obviously not tried contacting manufacturers to discuss issues with their products only to find that they then suggest doing something other than what is said 'on the tin'.

Now stop posting nonsense and stop being a dinosaur.

Someone once said said:
'When you resort to name-calling, you've lost the argument.'

So, on that note, I'll say, 'Thank you, and goodnight!'

In other words. You are wrong and the manufacturers are right. Glad we sorted that out. It's really simple folks. Follow the instructions on the back of the tin. Ignore anything anyone else says.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back