Fresh plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had the room plastered and want to get painting. What i need to know pls is..... Should I PVA or size the room first or will it be ok to start emulsioning.

TIA :D

Sponsored Links
DO NOT TRY TO PAINT OVER PVA OR PASTE

apply a mist coat or two of matt emulsion to seal and prime the new plaster.

dulux trade supermatt is good
white or magnolia are usually cheaper than colours

matt is not as hardwearing as vinyl silk so you will want to give a topcoat or two later

You could also use 'Gliddens contract' which is made by Dulux, was originally made for the american market.
You can but a 10ltr tub from your local Dulux centre, and including VAT, would cost you approx £15.
Its fantastic stuff, very thick, but obviously you would thin it down for your mistcoat.
I use it all the time, that and the Gliddens vinyl.
Plus in some dulux centres, they have a 25% off for cash buyers, I think it ends Monday, but double check. :D

Sponsored Links
Bahco..the amount you thin it by depends on the brand and type of paint.

Dulux supermatt, crown covermatt can be thinned by about 30-40%...other brands not so much water..and dont use silk.

Thanks for replys.

Is it worth the effort to use a mist coat :?:

I haven't in the past and will there be a noticeable difference :?:

Yes, its definately worth the effort to do a mistcoat, specially if you dont want any comebacks.

The Mistcoat seals the plaster ready to take the proper coats.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back