Fresh Skim vs tired anaglypta wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My girlfriend and her sister wish to sell a house that they own together. It's a bit tired, and even after 'freshening the paint' I still don't believe we have optimised the value of the property.

The anaglypta paper is peeling around the windows and showing damp/mould (usual signs of condensation damage) it's scuffed in places and has been filled in other places giving a dilapidated look. Some of the skirtings are missing, don't match throughout each room and have so many layers of paint/lint/filth on them that bringing them to a good finish will take weeks of work.

Alongside the usual (new bathroom, carpets, gardens etc.), I have offered to remove all the anaglypta wallpaper and re-skim the entire house and replace all skirtings. The cost of this will be materials only (at the estimate of around £800-£1000 at the moment).

Is there any reason why we should not go ahead and do this, and will there be a return on the £1000 materials investment?

P.s. I am an experienced plasterer so understand the work involved in this.

Sponsored Links
Difficult to put a monetary value on the work, but it might be the difference between achieving a sale or not. I'd do it personally I think, but bearing in mind that stripping the paper often reveals more work required than just a skim.

We still believe the place will sell as it is, but the sale price of a recently sold house (2 doors down, exactly the same set up, but with a nicer kitchen and gardens) was over twenty grand higher than the valuation of this house. This leads me to believe that the ceiling price of ours is much higher than current estimates and we have plenty of room to manouvre ourselves upwards.

Personally, I think that the objecting party in this is crazy not to accept the offer. We believe that with a new bathroom, showhome condition rooms, new carpets etc. we can happily add ten grand to the property value. Are there any online forums where this question could be raised? (Time may now be of the essence due to the delay we've had whilst this has been repeatedly debated.)

As always, when removing wallpaper, I know there will be issues underneath that will have to be dealt with. We'll just have to deal with them as and when.

Sponsored Links
Quick call to an estate agent will answer your question. I agree its mote likely to win a sale rather than add value per se. But the agent should answer your question...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back