freshwater 6000

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I have just had a freshwater 6000 domestic water softener installed but the plumber has not commissioned it as he said the instructions for doing so are poor. he has now left me with a softener installed and no water apart from drinking water. is there anyone who can run through the process of getting it up and running as we are now left without washing facilities or flushing loo.

Sponsored Links
Why not simply open the By-pass valve to restore water until you can get it commissioned - most softener manufacturers are very happy to help with this sometimes FOC! ;)

Hi all I have just had a freshwater 6000 domestic water softener installed but the plumber has not commissioned it as he said the instructions for doing so are poor.

Get "half a job" back to finish his install properly!
no doubt you have paid him in full

All you usually need to do is set the time,date and water hardness (a quick phone call to the manufacturer or your local water authority will tell you the latter)

you may have to purge some water through first (usually a gallon or 2) or it may do this automatically, I've never seen the type you have but the instructions will tell you.

Matt

Sponsored Links
Most softener makers have a list of approved installers!

Most customers assume any plumber can install and commission them!

Tony

I'm not a plumber, and I've installed two with the help of the instructions :confused:

It's no more difficult than a washing machine.

Why didnt you call us, phone nuber is on the web site, e-mail is on the web site, why ask questions on a forum like this when you have access to the maker of the product.

Amazing isnt it folks

Why didnt you call us, phone nuber is on the web site, e-mail is on the web site, why ask questions on a forum like this when you have access to the maker of the product.

Amazing isnt it folks

Cant comment as not seen one, but it wont be the first where the installation manual is not writen in understandable English or anything close to it.

I was given a toilet seat to fit, 32 friggin bits of plastic, English engineering at its best :LOL:

Why not put the instructions on your website?

But yes it is amazing. As Mr D pointed out - there can't be that much complicated with it unless it has a really stoooopid design that we can't tell from the pictures.

But then fitting something that is supplied can be a PITA if you're not familiar with it.

Yes, it is possible to contact Freshwater and you will, if you persist, get to speak to someone. The instructions I was given with the softener are clear and straightforward to follow.
1) Set the time using the up/down arrows
2) Press and hold down th "P" button for 5 seconds. You then need to adjust the hardness, H -- xx, value to that for your water supply using the up/down arrows. (You can find out what value to set either by using the testing kit supplied or by asking your water supplier.)

Ah, BUT!
Mine seemed to work just fine for a while but then got into a mode whereby it recharged far too regularly using >25Kg salt tablets per month.
So, I thought it would be a good idea to re-check the hardness setting. Step 2) now produces a different display. No "H" anymore but instead:

1--- nnn where the nnn doesn't seem to relate to whatever water hardness value I entered. (This value is adjustable though using the arrow keys.)

If I press P again it steps the display to
2 -- mmm , again the number seems to have no obvious relevance.

Pressing P repeatedly gives 3 -- xxx , 4 -- yyy and then 5 -- finish
whereupon another press gets the time display back.

It is possible to chance the "finish" to another number and then another press of P gets me 6 -- finish.

It's hard to imagine that the control unit has failed completely but it clearly isn't working as it is meant to do. It rather sounds as though it has found its way into some exotic manufacturer's programming mode. (Oh yes, and I have tried power-cycling it with no obvious effect)

The advice I got from Freshwater was to replace the control unit - this at a price comparable to buying a complete new system. It was suggested to me that mine was "time-expired" and was due for replacement anyway. Obviously disregard the claims for a 30 year lifetime made on their website.

I guess that I have little to lose by turning off the control unit and recharging manually periodically? Or will that mean that the softener will be by-passed and my water will not be softened at all? The other "remedy" I'm temped to try is to set the 1 -- nnn value to "finished and see what happens. If that bears fruit, I'll re-post.

If I do replace it, I'll almost certainly choose a non-electronic, entirely mechanical model.

If anyone has any ideas or has had similar experiences, please let us all know.

If the instructions were as neatly spelt, syntaxed and punctuated as Freshwataters post, then no wonder the installer walked.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back