Fridge freezer. Fridge not working.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before I order a new one any simple fix for why just the fridge would stop working? Freezer is fine.
It’s a hotpoint probably about 10 years old

cheers

Sponsored Links
Quite possibly there is a build up of solid ice behind the panel at the rear of the freezer, this prevents cold air from being allowed to flow up into the fridge, hence the fridge stops working. It's a pretty common problem and easy fix. Remove the panel and remove the ice build up and the cold air can flow again.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
My very old Hotpoint did not cool fridge until freezer was down to temperature, it had been condemned as thermal insulation had failed, but I used it to brew beer in, when a new batch is started the process produces heat, so new batch went into freezer compartment and the whole unit was controlled by an external thermostat
shopping
to 19°C and even when it was running for couple of hours, the fridge never cooled, which was good as once it had been brewing for 7 days heat output reduced so could transfer fermenter to fridge compartment.

I also found before it was used as a brew fridge, that it takes a long time to de-ice the ice behind the cover over the cooling bits, I found propping open door and a fan worked well, not a heater, just a fan, but it could take an hour after all the visible ice had gone, before the ice behind the cover had all melted.

It seems the whole problem was due to the thermal insulation being damaged, likely from new, but since I always de-frosted before calling out the freezer guy, they had not realised the root problem. On the one time I had not got around to de-frosting first, he opened door and with one look condemned the unit. Just lucky it was insured.

Slightly different to the model above but seems to have worked. thanks for the advise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back