Fridge/Freezer making a LOUD banging sound only at night

M

Mickymoody

My partner says the fridge has been making a large bang noise, at night..And I heard a couple of bangs tonight..

It seems to work OK, but the fridge part seems to freeze stuff in the salad tray, maybe an adjustment, but I don't understand the physics of these loud bangs? What part of a compressor, pump and r134 is it? that would create a loud bang? Repeatedly?

Sponsored Links
i assume its a frost free if so defrost for a minimum 24 hrs but dont unplug just turn down to minimum to allow the internal heaters to work if they want to

Thanks Big-all - I didn't realise to 'defrost', a frost free system, you turned the stats down, but didn't unplug it. Makes sense. Didn't realise about the heaters, but the mesh at the back gets mighty warm.

I see where you are coming from, purge the system, but without a switchoff. I hate to constantly turn off the TV or computer, if I'm in and out in the day, as that is when they are most under stress and likely to fail, and consume more current. (But the caviat being - not in standby, as that breaks the degaussing, on TV's, and NEVER leave a washing machine unattended, as that caused a fire in my youth (too young to remember), and the recent failures with my machine/and/or leaks)

I recall the days when I had a half height fridge with a little letterbox sized freezer, and eventually, you could probably post a fish finger into the ice. Hack away with a knife, and rediscover 10 year old foodstuff, that had been forgotton over time. Yummy!

ps..It's pretty full atm, so your advice will be filed for future reference. Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back