Fridge freezer runs continuously

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a built in 70:30 fridge freezer, single compressor, Electrolux family - its a Tricity Bendix 773FF. Its an autodefrost model. I typically don't have the defrost heater turned on.

The fridge is frosting up at the top, and the compressor runs most of the time. The temperature in the fridge is OK but varies too widely. The freezer seems OK.

I thought this was a problem with the thermostat so I bought a replacement from partmaster and fitted it. Arghh, no change !

I'm reasonably confident on the electrics side if I need to measure or repair anything.

Any suggestions? Let me know if you need more information or I need to check something else.

Sponsored Links
The only control will be the t/stat, you could try shorting the t/stat or leaving them open, not certain if t/stat will be normally open or closed.
The only other thing I can think of is loss of refrigerant, but you say the temps are ok.

Hi John, yes its supposed to be Frost Free.

The defrost timer (which I found in the section between the fridge and the freezer) seems to work, but there are some more electrics near the freezer section which I haven't looked at - not sure what they actually do.

When I first had a look at this 2 or 3 weeks ago, I had it out of the cabinet and switched off for a couple of hours. So its not had a complete defrost/dry out which I've seen suggested else where - but I'm not sure what this is needed for, i.e. what it can help fix.

cheers

Sponsored Links
On alot of auto defrost freezers the drain pipe can get blocked/frozen preventing the defrost from leaving.

The ice can also build up more than the defrost heater can actually defrost (runs for a specific time)

Both of these can cause the ice to gradually increase to the extent that the defrost can not cope, the fan can freeze up with the ice and the stats controlling the temp can become encased in ice which does not always defrost so the freezer acts as though the whole freezer is at the correct temp when it is not.

A min of a 24 hour defrost is required to allow all of this build up of ice to fully defrost (alot of it is where you can not normally get to or see)

that's what I was thinking.

Once the pipes and ducts get blocked in a frost-free, you need to turn it off, empty it, open both doors, keep sponging it dry until all the ice has melted, water run out and dried up, with no more dripping out, before you plug it back in.

It will probably take a couple of days.

Preferably also pull it away from the wall and keep emptying the dish at the back as it is likely to overflow (and is on top of the motor)

The defrost tube from the fridge is free of ice. I poked the old thermocouple all the way through from the fridge to the outlet at the back to be sure.

The freezer coils and the fins covering them at the bottom (behind the fan cover) are quite iced up.

There are a couple of thermal switches (fuses?) marked 261N in the freezer section. Does anyone know what these are for, or how to check they are still both working properly ?

For now the fridge freezer is empty and sunning itself in the conservatory which is nice and toasty, so I expect it to be warmed up quickly. The fridge is completely dry and free of ice now, just waiting for the freezer section to completely melt and dry.

cheers for all the replies and suggestions so far.

Its pretty warm and dry in the freezer section now as well, thanks to a bit of time with a hairdryer with the door ajar. There was no plug of ice in the bottom of the defrost heater tray either in the freezer. Probably going to leave it a bit longer and then move it back into position.

Checked and cleaned all the seals, see if that helps....

On a related note - if I have to buy a new one, what's the most reliable. Is there any difference between all the Electrolux brands (other than knick-knacks and add ons like bottle holders) ? How about Samsung, or Siemens (getting pricey there though).

Loads of probs with samsung frost frees and american style ones

Bosch pricier but a 2 year parts and labour

Personally I prefer doing a manual defrost (more reliable than auto I do it properly and less to go wrong)

Latest update - well dry and defrosted FF back in place and turned on - still not working that well though. It took a good 18 hours to get down to 6 degC and doesn't seem to be going much lower. Would like it to be colder, but I think I'm going to be buying a new one soon.

Thanks for the warning on the Samsung - sounds like one to avoid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back