Fridge pipe rattling/hammering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved a couple of months ago and finally got round to running a water line for our American style fridge freezer.

As the fridge is freestanding the pile 1/4" pipe comes off at a T junction under the sink under the unit to a pipe box in the corner of the kitchen, up then along the top of the units to get over the cooker then down the back of the fridge.

The pipe is clipped song the to of the units and the filter is up there along with a stop valve.

When the washing machine which is out in the garage is running the pipe rattles on the waste pipe in the pipe box. But the dishwasher that is in the same pipe in the kitchen has no effect.

There's some slack in the pipe I need to trim out, but is there anything I can do to stop it rattling in the pipe box?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes, trim off slack, secure, possibly encase in pipe insulation to damp down vibration.

Or; upsize 10mm to 15mm, preferably in copper.

Sponsored Links
Securing and insulating may be tricky it's already clips to & bottom of the pipe box, not sure how to do anything inside the box?

Also it's not 10mm it's 1/4" or 6mm tubing after the t junction at the sink.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back