Fridge thermostat at higher setting ONLY, not cycling

C

Coniferman

Zanussi DF56/45

I decided to change the thermostat. Admittedly the new one was cheap - a fiver delivered.

It's all working but with the control set to about 2.5, the fridge gets between about 4 and 6 degrees as it switches on and off. (on a low shelf)
It will cycle like this between 1 and a few hours depending on ambient temp.

This is ok but I would ideally like it about a degree cooler. However if I increase the control even very slightly, then compressor stays on permanently (for days) and ice forms at the back. The temp gets down to about 2 but I then turn the control back down so it defrosts.

It is the type of fridge that, when the compressor switches off, it stays off until the thermostat reaches a set temp that means ice has melted and it switches on again.

Is there a reason why increasing the control so slightly would have this affect? Is the new thermostat faulty or can this indicate that there is not enough gas left in the compressor due to age etc despite it getting to 2 degrees eventually?

(I replaced the thermostat because it was just icing up when the setting was on 3, so it seems to have made no difference.)

P.S. I am measuring the temp with a wireless sender with min/max memory and I beleive it to be accurate.

Sponsored Links
if you have a domestic fridge which runs at 4-6'c on a permanent basis take that. that is a good working fridge . food will last well at that temp.

To prove me wrong the fridge got down to 1.0 degrees and has been cycling between 1.0 and 3.2 all morning. I think the colder weather helps. Remember this is near the bottom of the fridge so it will be a couple of degrees warmer higher up. This was however having only increased the dial by the absolute smallest amount from a setting that gave 4 to 6 degrees.

Would like it somewhere in between the two but I guess I can't complain.

Sponsored Links
food at 1 -2 degrees is not good for all types of food
4 is the best universal temperature
but thats up to you

the temperature will vary around the fridge, thats normal

it will always vary in any heating medium
oven , fridge , pot of boiling water etc etc

Zanussi DF56/45

I decided to change the thermostat. Admittedly the new one was cheap - a fiver delivered.

It's all working but with the control set to about 2.5, the fridge gets between about 4 and 6 degrees as it switches on and off. (on a low shelf)
It will cycle like this between 1 and a few hours depending on ambient temp.

This is ok but I would ideally like it about a degree cooler. However if I increase the control even very slightly, then compressor stays on permanently (for days) and ice forms at the back. The temp gets down to about 2 but I then turn the control back down so it defrosts.

It is the type of fridge that, when the compressor switches off, it stays off until the thermostat reaches a set temp that means ice has melted and it switches on again.

Is there a reason why increasing the control so slightly would have this affect? Is the new thermostat faulty or can this indicate that there is not enough gas left in the compressor due to age etc despite it getting to 2 degrees eventually?

(I replaced the thermostat because it was just icing up when the setting was on 3, so it seems to have made no difference.)

P.S. I am measuring the temp with a wireless sender with min/max memory and I beleive it to be accurate.

Our Heller PPRH50 fridge only comes on when all the ice has melted away, your fridge is probably the same. What might be a good idea is to get a thermostat you can plug into power points and control the fridges temperature with that, google Chest Fridges and some of the results will have links to the websites that have these thermostats in stock.
How old is your fridge anyway? This is something you should include in help questions, how old it is, the model and the name.
If you have a manual defrost, this is the source of your problem, they rely on cold air sinking, where as frost free has a fan to help with air-circulation, I'd say this is your problem, its an older (or newer) Cyclic (manual defrost) and there isn't enough airflow. Try not to open the door so much, and make sure to tell your kids (if you have them) not to go in and out constantly, as this will make the fridge run longer on a slightly colder setting. Is the fridge quite full, or is it just the drinks fridge? Fridges cannot tell temperature very well if they're empty. Try leaving the fridge off OVERNIGHT to allow all the frost to 'go away' and see if this helps. TRY ALL MY SOLUTIONS- YOU NEVER KNOW- IT MIGHT WORK! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back