Auto defrost-fridge not getting below 9C

C

Coniferman

Zanussi DF56/45 (I guess over 10/15 years old???)

I had a lot of ice build-up at the back of the fridge (I have seen the other recent thread,..) so I switched off and let it melt fully. I then switched back on, over 48 hours ago, but it is not getting below 9.2c (accurate wireless thermometer) The compressor is always on, although I have turned it off a couple of times to allow the compressor to cool down.(seemed like a good idea :confused: ) It is half-full of "non-perishables". Even on the lowest setting it does not switch off.

Does this indicate a definite fault or is it just strugging in the summer heat to get down to temp, given its age. The kitchen "only" got to max 25C today, though. Maybe it will get down to correct temp in a few more days?

Anyone know how this one works. i.e. defrost timer/heater etc. The manual says "frost is eliminated from the cooling plate at the back of the fridge every time the motor stops". Csn I assume from this there is no timer. Would there still be a heating element?

Maybe that is why the ice build up because the compressor wasn't switching off so it didn't defrost causing it to get worse?

I think the door seals are ok. The back is not easily accessibly but the coils were dusted a couple of years ago, I seem to remember the thermostat was a two-state thing detecting the cool temperature and the defrost temp?

The freezer is fine and I think has a separate compressor.

Just after clues if this is dead or just needs more time and if there is a potential fault? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
ah, having increased the ventilation in the kitchen and pulled out the fridge freezer a few inches, it little it looks like it is working a lot better. The temperature had increased to 11C whilst I was opening its door etc but that has now quickly dropped to 8C which it hadn't been doing. I have it set on low at the moment so will wait for it to cut off and then gradually increase the setting over the next couple of days.

Thanks for reading :eek:

Still interested if anyone would happen to know if it has a timer and heater or does it just defrost when the compressor switches off because it reaches the desired temp?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back