fridge thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My electrolux larder fridge (RF593) stopped running (power OK as light worked) so I bought a new thermostat for it.

Replaced the old one and wired up the new as per the old.

Now it runs continuously even on the lowest setting and is more like a freezer. I already have a freezer!

I find it hard to believe the replacement one is faulty (possible I suppose) and wonder if it's to do with the capillary. The old one had a tight-fitting sleeve (which did not come off), and was just fed loosely behind the condensor. I bought a sleeve which the elctrical shop guy assured me would shrink tight onto the capillary if I used a hair-dryer on it. It didn't. So the capillary is just loosely inserted into the sleeve.

Could this be the problem?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
On the front of the stat itself, a black one in the centre connector, a brown one on one side, and green on the other side.

Then blue from the supply line goes into the box in front of the stat, with white coming out and leading the the light switch, with another black coming back out of he switch and joining up with the black on the stat.

Hi,
So I returned the stat and bought another which a different supplier assured me would match my fridge. Same problem.

Looking onlne at various wiring diagrammes, they all seem to show the incoming cable with 2 wires (live & neutral) + earth. Mine has 3 wires (blue, black and brown) + earth.

Originally, from the mains cable:

Blue to compressor
Black to stat connector 6 and also to the light
Brown to stat connector 4
geen to stat earth

Then white goes from light to compressor.

This must be wrong though it certainly worked befoe the stat gave out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back