Fridge trips RCCB (RCD) in consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Have eventually isolated our Bosch fridge (not fridge/freezer) as being the culprit in tripping the RCD (the fridge started running more noisily a few weeks back). 2 questions if I may:
1. If I plug the fridge in to another circuit not covered by the RCD just as a temporary measure, am I running any significant risk?
2. What components in a regular fridge are most likely to fail, why and at what cost am I looking at to repair?
OK, so there are 4 questions up there, but you get the idea - I just want to ascertain if I should make a repair or buy a new fridge :cry:

Thanks for any assistance

Cheers Crash.

Sponsored Links
The RCD is an Earth Fault protection device.
This operates when you have a fault to earth

ie live current flowing to earth,

any metalwork is liable to be live similarly anything else plugged into this circuit is potentially live

This means that anything conductive connected to your mains supply with an earth could become live 'sinks, baths, radiators, other appliances.

Common causes of faults like this are damaged supply cable or plug 'including molded ones'
Compressor fault
Condensation in the controls
Lamp fitting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back