From E to C drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I read from an old post you can copy folders between drives, by cut and paste , can anyone advise in more detail how to do it please.

I click on C in my computer and little yellow folders come up

I click on E in my computer, it comes up with a windows back up file,
9million KB which is hopefully what I copied before erasing the C drive yesterday, but I cannot seem to access the contents

I just get a message
The back up utility can not connect to the removable storage exit and start the removable storage service using the system service in the management console.
Is there another way to do it

Any advice please

Sponsored Links
Here we go :LOL: :LOL:

Start the Backup wizard > select restore > have your usb hard drive connected > and select browse when available > E:\E.bkf should come up. Once the backup file is loaded you should be able to select what to restore.

Hope you are feeling happy with your restore!

Hi again doc
I was suprised it all went well considering. :eek:

Dont think i could have done it without all the bits of info.

There seemed to be in the wizard, some options for files when I first put it back , so I only put back fles what I recognised and most of the stuff went back ok.
I think I opted not to load the system as I assumed that the toshiba disc had done that

I would have copied and pasted like you said at first , but was not confident I could do that.

Anyway it all went ok, really , and i reloaded the discs I had, again rather than copying them back, for the phones ,etc

But some picture files were missing.
however since I posted I used the search function, for it.

I found them in the computer with that luckily and somehow moved them back into "my pictures"
This was without the E drive plugged in , so It had put them back in somewhere.

I just cant find the same screen with the E drive programs on now since i copied it back though.

I will try tomorrow, the way you say, to see if I have missed any other files

PS
Would appreciate it if you could wiz through the cut and paste files method though, for next time.

Thanks

Here we go :LOL: :LOL:

Start the Backup wizard > select restore > have your usb hard drive connected > and select browse when available > E:\E.bkf should come up. Once the backup file is loaded you should be able to select what to restore.

Tried browse and it said
specify the file you would like to catalogue
E:\E.bkf
option 1 ok
:!: The file you specified does not exist or does not contain back up sets
Option 2 browse
goes to a screen listing all drive C stuff also E:
Nothing seems to appear in E though.

hard1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi

Look here for some information on the restore procedure, note at point 7. you want to restore to an alternate location e.g. E: and you probably only need the stuff in My Documents.

Can you locate the backup file on the E: drive?

If not Try and use the search facility, search for all files and folders Enable look in hidden files and folders) and use the browse button to select the E: drive. In all or part of the file name type: *.bkf

If you put a CD into your CD/DVD drive do you still get the removable storage error?

Thanks for the link , it is easier when its laid out like that.
They were the screens I was using.

I think it was my fault though, I copied it back cautiously, maybe missing a few uncertain files, to the C: drive, the first time

when I went back to find the missing pics I did not want to risk copying them back to C: again in case I made it worse.
So I was stopping there

I never touched "system state" or restored it as I assumed the toshiba disc had sorted that

I now realise you can copy to alternative places
so I have tried copying again to E: to see how it works

I found bkf ok a few days ago, although it had a lot in it ,I could not access the contents.

i have now tried copying to E:again.
When I expanded bkf (as below), I was clicking E; and there was not much there.
I have now tried C: and there is a lot there.
Am i right to think that is the copy I made of C: rather than C: that is on the computer now
If it is thats where I was going wrong :oops:
Hopefully I should be ok now

res-1.jpg

Can you locate the backup file on the E: drive?

I found it ok,Just could not open it up.
Think above was why

If not Try and use the search facility, search for all files and folders Enable look in hidden files and folders) and use the browse button to select the E: drive. In all or part of the file name type: *.bkf

found it using that as well, but also it was is in "my computer" screen anyway.
Asit scanned E: and C: I noticed some of my missing pic files, wiz past under C: so they are there and I will find them that way

If you put a CD into your CD/DVD drive do you still get the removable storage error?

with a disc in, the red X was still there, although the disc showed up in D: as healthy, and is working ok , as I have loaded programmes.
there was also a DCOM error in the events veiwer.
Changed the setting from disabled to auto and restarted
Red X has now gone.
Removable storage Box now expands to media, librarys,and dvd-ram

I tried the copy and paste of files from C: to E: and seems easy enough.
I assume it is ok to do that as long as I dont cut or delete them from C: unless there not needed.

As I said Its running like new , sound is back , camera, phone all linked up ok.

Just the hp and few little things to do now

Thanks as always
R

Back