SATA SDD disappearing or corrupting often

Nothing in that image suggests any kind of error or problem. It's all 100% normal.

The memory (RAM) can be tested with this: https://www.memtest.org/
Leave it running for many hours, such as overnight.
What you want is zero errors. Any non-zero amount means the RAM needs to be replaced.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
But the images does seem to show lots of errors? Are they meaningless errors? I will try a Memtest and leave it overnight tonight.

The image:

Crystal-Disk-Info-20220601145508.png

doesn't show any errors anywhere.
All the numbers are 100, which is their starting value. They reduce as various events occur, once they are below the threshold it will report via the BIOS or operating system as failed / end of life.

Images can be added directly to the thread, it's not necessary or desirable to use other image sites.

For comparison, this is what an older drive looks like, note that many of the values are less than 100 mostly due to age related factors. However none of them are anywhere near the threshold values, there is nothing wrong with this drive based on the information given.

ST6000.png

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that clarification. I thought that the uncorrectable errors at 100 was a bad thing? But you seem to know more than I do!!
Just now when I was creating the USB memtest drive, the system failed and gave the error: Bad System Config Info. It seems every failure gives a new error message.
Anyway, I made the memtest USB pendrive in my windows 7 laptop, but when I tried to boot from it in the laptop with the issues, it told me that security had blocked the drive from booting. So now what?

Not to worry, I disabled secure boot in BIOS. Test is running now. I'll report back tomorrow!!

CPU Core 1 passed the test with no errors,Took around 20 minutes to test next part testing now....

9 hours and 40 minutes later and the MEMTEST is still running, so far 11 passes and 0 errors. In this case, that may be bad news because I'm wanting and hoping for an easy fix.
It seems that each time the computer crashes, it gives a different error message and each time I restart it, then it wants to scan and repair drive C. Anyway, I'll report back when the MEMTEST is finished.

Last edited:
I ran CrystalDiskInfo again today and here is a PNG image of what came back. It does look like the Hard Drive is not right. Health and temperature are good but lots of errors listed below and the PC still crashing when asked to work a bit harder than normal, but still not very hard at all.
Assuming this issue is the disk drive and maybe someone here can confirm that when they see this image, is there any hope left for this drive? Even as an external drive? Or is it toast?

That drive has a 3 year warranty and free tech support. Perhaps you could contact Kingston and see what they recommend.

Here s a link to their diagnostic software.

But it looks like the test came back clean, at least according to another poster here earlier. However, I do appreciate you noticing that and I think I will contact them and see what they think. The MEMTEST is still running. 17 hours 42 minutes so far. Pass: 21 Errors: 0

Just looking at that link to Kingston. What is AHCI mode and do I need to set that to enabled? It is an SSD but it is a SATA SSD? Previously, when I tried before I have windows installed on a 256GB NVMe WD dirve and then this SATA SSD as a storage drive. That gave trouble too. Maybe I haven't set it up in BIOS. I didn't know I needed to. I didn't download any of that Kingston software either?

Will MEMTEST86 just keep running? I mean I have 21 passes and no errors? It has been running for almost 18 hours? Sure that is enough and I can stop running it now?

MEMTEST86 will keep running for as long as you allow it to.
Drives should all be auto detected by the BIOS, the days of manual configuration ended decades ago.

There was some talk that an SSD needed to have AHCI enabled in BIOS. But I really have no idea.

AHCI is the default for modern drives and operating systems and has been the standard choice for well over 10 years.

The other option is usually labelled IDE and is a compatibility mode for older drives and operating systems that don't support AHCI.
New drives will still work with it, but will typically be slower.

Sponsored Links
Back