From July 6th the EU may have been limiting your speed.

Sponsored Links

"Why has the EU brought speed limiters in?​

In a word, safety. Chief proponent of ISA is the European Transport Safety Council (ETSC) which says the move will reduce collisions by 30 per cent and road deaths by 20 per cent. The EU has a target of zero road deaths by 2050. "

This target will be automatically reached anyway, as by then no-one will be able to afford the price of petrol/diesel/electricity. :)

Let's face it, enforcing speed reduction through technical measures isn't going away and will only increase. First stage is mandating vehicles have it but with the option to switch it off, albeit having to do this every time you restart the vehicle. Next stage will be not allowing it to be switched off, although I imagine they'll still need an override function for safety.

Regardless of the rationale behind it, the strategy is to make driving ever more arduous, thus 'encouraging' the masses to use public transport, bike or walk.

I won't be surprised if they eventually decide to reduce the national speed limit to 50mph 'in the interests of safety, traffic flow and environmental reasons' ;)

Sponsored Links
How to stop the sales of new vehicles.
Nothing to do with safety whatsoever.
The less power your electric vehicle uses the less you’ll need to charge it.
Implementing measures ready for the drain on the grid.

Yes it's only newly type-approved models that need these now, not all new cars. All new cars (just about) will need them by July 2024. As has been said, the system can be over-ridden but there's another, much less talked-about requirement for an "Event Data Recorder" (i.e. a black box like a plane) that will record a great deal of data, of which whether or not the Intelligent Speed Assist system was switched off.

Also as has been said, GB doesn't have any plans to introduce the requirements...
...yet.

Have just read another article which makes it clear that there is much more involved than the autoexpress article reported. The regulation also requires that the following data be recorded: speed, braking, use of seat-belts, force of impact, indicators, engine/transmission data. This data , in case of an accident, only to be available to " people investigating the accident" ( no further explanation ), judicial authorities and research institutes.

https://www.service-public.fr/partic...ualites/A15659

Beyond this however for "new models" now ( and all by 2024)

Interface for fitting an ethylometer
Systems for checking alertness and driver reactivity
Systems to check for driver being distracted
Signals for emergency braking
Detection-systems when reversing
An accurate system for tyre-pressure sensing

Since a law for the last point already exists, they must believe it is not sufficiently accurate.

Bus and trucks

Warning systems to eliminate the blind-spots around the front of the vehicle to protect pedestrians and cyclists

Presumably any failure of any of these systems will result in a red warning -light on the dash so 10 or 12 years down the road will begin a massive scrapping of vehicles* because owners will not judge it cost-effective to repair the systems (if garages are in fact capable of doing so )

* or export to Russia/Africa/Asia.

Have just read another article which makes it clear that there is much more involved than the autoexpress article reported. The regulation also requires that the following data be recorded: speed, braking, use of seat-belts, force of impact, indicators, engine/transmission data. This data , in case of an accident, only to be available to " people investigating the accident" ( no further explanation ), judicial authorities and research institutes.

https://www.service-public.fr/partic...ualites/A15659

Beyond this however for "new models" now ( and all by 2024)

Interface for fitting an ethylometer
Systems for checking alertness and driver reactivity
Systems to check for driver being distracted
Signals for emergency braking
Detection-systems when reversing
An accurate system for tyre-pressure sensing

Since a law for the last point already exists, they must believe it is not sufficiently accurate.

Bus and trucks

Warning systems to eliminate the blind-spots around the front of the vehicle to protect pedestrians and cyclists

Presumably any failure of any of these systems will result in a red warning -light on the dash so 10 or 12 years down the road will begin a massive scrapping of vehicles* because owners will not judge it cost-effective to repair the systems (if garages are in fact capable of doing so )

* or export to Russia/Africa/Asia.

Yes. That "Event Data Recorder" I mentioned is the thing you are describing in your first paragraph. There are other things too, which aren't on your list (like a new rear crash test and tougher tests for electric vehicle batteries, which you haven't mentioned. It's the biggest shake-up in type approval legislation for a decade.

The "signals for emergency braking, might be a mistranslation. From 2024, all new cars sold, will need an advanced emergency braking system (already fitted to a lot of cars) which will detect an imminent collision with another car or larger vehicle, and apply the brakes automatically. From July 2026, however, that system will need to be able to detect pedestrians and cyclists (ahead of you) as well.

Remember. At present, this only applies to vehicles sold in the EU. Britain has not yet decided on whether it will mandate these regs. (Although I do remember certain promises in 2016, about "No diminution of safety or environmental standards"...).

Ever since cars had to be fitted with ABS and catalysts, people have been saying they'll have to be scrapped when a fault develops at 10 years old, because they won't be economical to fix, and yet the average age of a vehicle at scrappage keeps going up... currently nearly 15 years...

Ever since cars had to be fitted with ABS and catalysts, people have been saying they'll have to be scrapped when a fault develops at 10 years old,

I think if you look, you'll find that the London ULEZ introduction had a big impact causing lots of diesel owners in the zone to sell. The following link describes heavy sales of second-hand diesel cars to countries bordering Germany when major cities (Stuttgart the first ) banned Euro 4 diesels in early 2019.

I think if you look, you'll find that the London ULEZ introduction had a big impact causing lots of diesel owners in the zone to sell. The following link describes heavy sales of second-hand diesel cars to countries bordering Germany when major cities (Stuttgart the first ) banned Euro 4 diesels in early 2019.

That might well be so, but I think that's slightly different? It's not because they had developed faults and weren't worth fixing, it's because those cities decided to act on air quality and banned cars that didn't meet a particular requirement.

'encouraging' the masses to use public transport, bike or walk.
Stage one has to be having public transport and safe cycling and walking routes. As it stands first bus to last bus gives me 4 hours in local town, I could not go to and from hospital by bus. And the train is worse, stopped running during colvid, and now only two trains a day do whole run to local town, and town bus does not call into train station, so need time to walk into town.

Yes some trains have the disabled adapted carriage, and you can carry a bike on that, classed as a dog, but some carriages bike has to be left outside.

As it stands first bus to last bus gives me 4 hours in local town, I could not go to and from hospital by bus. And the train is worse,
There will always be difficult to serve areas. That should be no surprise.

I won't be surprised if they eventually decide to reduce the national speed limit to 50mph 'in the interests of safety, traffic flow and environmental reasons' ;)
You are presumably not old enough to remember the Dec 73 to March 74 oil crisis 50mph national limit, then? It's been done before. The Dutch approached it differently and simply banned car use on Sundays

You are presumably not old enough to remember the Dec 73 to March 74 oil crisis 50mph national limit, then? It's been done before. The Dutch approached it differently and simply banned car use on Sundays
'Fraid I can; was it so short? Can remember the long slow drive from Rugby to Harrogate and getting reprimanded for arriving late to class. The little hitlers (instructors) didn't consider the 50mph National limits a good or reasonable excuse.

'Fraid I can; was it so short?
Yes, but I admit to having had to look it up!

A mate of mine who had a Reliant Regal got done for speeding in the middle of that. I don't know whether the copper thought he should be giving him a ticket or a prize! I recall he got done a tenner - or half a week's wages for him (after tax)

Sponsored Links
Back